View Poll Results: How Many Of Us Are Able To Work?

Voters
980. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fulltime

388 39.59%
  • Part Time

224 22.86%
  • Not at all

368 37.55%
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Of Us Are Able To Work?

Unhappy Re: How Many Of Us Are Able To Work?

I work full-time as i'd be so much worse if I did nothing at all. I find it a real struggle somtimes and wonder if it is really worth it, but I also have good days when I really enjoy my job. I also have noticably more sick days than the rest of the staff team, i had to phone in sick today for example as my whole body is vibrating with nerves and i feel sick to the stomach and now i'm stressing about taking the day off as i'm currently on absence monitoring. I guess its catch 22 really, you are damned if you do, damned if you don't

if it can be fused then it can be split

its all under control, its all under control......

Re: How Many Of Us Are Able To Work?

GFW,

You are doing totally the right thing in working. We all need some structure and routine to our day and although the anxiety feelings can be totally overwhelming when at work, we have to remember that nothing will happen to us whether at work or not!

Are your personnel dept aware of your problems?

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    GFW,

You are doing totally the right thing in working. We all need some structure and routine to our day and although the anxiety feelings can be totally overwhelming when at work, we have to remember that nothing will happen to us whether at work or not!

Are your personnel dept aware of your problems?

Kate

hey thanks for the response,

i know you are right and i would hate to give up work, but it is just hard when you don't know what days you are going be feeling particular anxious. I know my employers would be supportive and they know i have suffered with anxiety/depression in the past. I was fine when i started the job and didnt feel it was going to be an issue but there is something stopping me from telling them i am going through a bad time of it just now. I dont know what to do, i don't know whether i should take some time off and explain to them why or should i just struggle on as knowing me i will probably feel alright again in a few days. talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place....................

if it can be fused then it can be split

its all under control, its all under control......

GFW,

I know exactly how you are feeling.

I first had depression/anx/panic 25 years ago and have always carried on working even though it has been soooo hard.

I started a new job 6 weeks ago and I'm very anxious everyday even though I really love my job. I haven't told them about the anxiety, they never asked at the interview so I kept it quiet.

If you can force yourself into work each day, then this would be a good thing. If not, then have time off as and when you really need to. Whether you tell your employers or not is entirely up to you. I do find that once I've been a work for about an hour, my anxiety comes down. Until the next day that is!

Kate

I can't work at the moment - which is horrible i wish i could because i feel like im sponging off my parents and having no money is not fun - if i applied for a job would telling them i have suffered from agoraphobia and still from anxiety put me at the bottom of the pile? I know its not supposed to with disability laws and all that but it enevitably puts me at a disadvantage - and if i dont tell them how do i explain i have only had one waitressing job when i was 17 and now im 22?!!
    i just want to be normal :(

I work part-time and did so before my 'breakdown' as I have a young toddler. I did have to take 2 months off work when I became ill and was distressed at being off work.

I do okish at work cos' I am pretty good at my job and allowed to get on with it. I did have a phase of finding it hard to concentrate and it was horrible. My boss had to have 'words' with me and I knew I'd let myself down badly. I find I have to try extra hard these days at work and I have developed practical systems to help me do my job properly.

I just stopped working a week ago. Me and my therapist has come to the conclusion that I *can* work (slowly, not concentrated at all, but I can), but I won't ever get better if I don't get absolute calmness and a period without worry. So, I'll probably be out for 2-3 months, and gradually working my way back to full time.

However, I do appreciate the need for some routine, which I absolutely lack - and I've told my parents, my therapist, and some friends to bug me to plan and do things while I'm off. But I'll spend the time to do enjoyable things. A movie a day, perhaps, as a prize for a couple of hours exercise Reading, studying things that fascinate me, and trying to make some "work" out of that, would help, I believe.

I still work as a part time tutor in adult education, it helps me to for get myself for a while and there, is a lot of paper work which keeps me busy, otherwise I would sit and stew. A takes all my courage sometimes to get ready and go but I wont give in.
    Lesleyb

Hi, I work full time and I have always found work a distraction, the job I have been doing for the last year I have really loved. Now though I will be getting trained on other jobs which I know will be stressful.

The worse thing I find about work is the people, as I have social phobia I find it so hard being around people sometimes, and other times its just certain people. I don't feel comfortable with them should I smile or say hello?

I know it sounds strange, I do have a few friends there but most people just ignore me. Most people think I seem odd or abit of a joke which makes me feel more uncomfortable and awkward.
    Anna

From my own experience -

If we do a job we hate then our anxiety Could take over.
    If we do a job we enjoy then it can only be of benefit providing we know our workload limits and not try to do everything ourselves, or we could bring on too much stress!

Meditating, relaxing, reading, doing something we enjoy etc or keeping busy helps.
    Sitting just thinking or feeling bored is the worst thing to do because it opens the door to anxious thoughts!

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information