Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: agoraphobia and moving house

Re: agoraphobia and moving house

ok vixxy
    well:
    Do you have a date that you have to move in by?
    No not yet but i think it will be around the end of aug
    Also whats the exact distance from where you are now, to the new house?
    Its about 1 hour 30 mins by car, not sure in miles
    Do you drive?
    No, my social worker is driving me
    turned back upon the past?

When I was at the worst point of agoraphobia, even finding it difficult to go to my mums just a few doors away, I put our house up for sale on a whim. It sold after the first veiwing, cue panic stations! We quickly found a house that needed gutting and we had to move into my mums. I thought it would be a nightmare but surprisingly it wasnt and it was more like a holiday! When the dreaded day arrived (17 weeks later) to move into the new house I had made a plan. My brother had videoed the journey, which luckily wasnt too far, so I could familiarise myself with it. I got up at 5.30 as I knew the roads would be empty and had to leave as soon as I was dressed or less I would have chickened out!
    I did it!!!
    I can honestly say it was the best move Ive ever made. Since being here Ive managed to get out a bit more and my world is bigger and better than it was in my old place. Look at this move as a new begining, like I did.
    Take care and good luck.

Hi all wow was amazed to have such helpful replies and support - thankyou all!

My date is pencilled in for 10th Sept my therapist is going to drive me I think its about 60 odd miles approx and about an hour and 15 mins.

I think it is a brilliant idea to support each other to those of us who are moving and continue this thread didnt realise there were others in my situation.Anyone is welcome to pm me anytime keep me posted everyone how you are and the preparations and if anybody else has any experiences and good ideas keep them coming in!

love Wendy xx

Diane07 - Yes Im planning on driving myself.

Seems weve all got a simialar distance to go then. Id like to be there by the end of August too, so I can aim to do it at the same time as you guys^^

Well done you vixxy.

I'll support you all through this, it really won't be anything like you think it will.

There are two major things that helped me overcome the fear of travelling far, one was my ipod (no good to you vix as you're driving) and the other was i have a fellow agoraphobic, who i knew was on standby should i need to call her and there were many times that i did call her, you too can pull up anytime you need to vix to make a call...............That thought of comfort got me through every single journey, so much so i can do train journeys now, without the need to have to call her anymore.

Vix, as you're driving what about taking a relaxation cd to put in the car?

It will be so nice for you all when you have all done the move, and share your different experiences in your new homes.

di xx

Keep up this fantastic positive thread all! to new beginnings eh!

Wendy xx

this is great, so glad we are not alone lol. Had news on my move today, looks like mine will be the end of aug lets update each other on everything
    Thank you to you Diane07 for giving us your support and angel light for starting this off and to vixxy and everyone else whos posting, i've been so worried lol, im feeling much better about the whole thing now x
    turned back upon the past?

I can only agree with what everyone else has said. Distraction and breaking it down into small stages. Talking books are great if you are the passenger. Since you are going to your parents, you probably know much of the route, so try to visualise it if you can. Break it into sections (from here to the motorway... from the motorway to the shopping centre at....) using whatever landmarks you know.

You can use the google satellite maps to look places up too to familiarise yourself before you set off. Good luck for the journey and the future!

Thanks to everyone for such wonderful support, ive invested in a travel dvd player which I do find helps it stops me focusing on where I am and looking out of the window which doesnt help me.I am with a trusted person being a passenger and practising part of the route id say ive done about half hour so far im trying to do it a couple of times a week in the build up to the day.

If you guys are going the end of august I will be a little behind you on the 10th sept but will be able to hear all your wonderful news.

A tip my therapist gave to me which would be helpful is to have people whom you love and trust to be at the other end waiting for you- so you are actually going towards something when travelling, you could always text or call them on route say where you are and get them to put the kettle on!

Also guys watch the stress levels with the moving preparation it can be chaotic im returning to the basics watching my sleep eating and doing a relaxation cd daily.

Wendy xx

Thanks for the great advice Diane and everyone else.
    Im going to burn off the relaxation app i use on my ipod onto a cd and put it in the car.
    Is anyone going to do some exposure on this? Like going a certain distance and coming back?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information