Thread: I have no idea what happened to me earlier on but it was scary!!!

I have no idea what happened to me earlier on but it was scary!!!

I went out earlier on with my boyfriend, we were waiting for a bus and I noticed my breathing was doing that usual anxious thing where it feel heavy and I find myself taking deep breaths. I got on the bus and was waiting for my breathing to go back to normal but it didn't, I tried ignoring it but it didn't make a difference.

Then all of a sudden I felt like I was going to pass out, I couldn't get a proper breath, my chest felt heavy, tight and uncomfortable, my jaw was numb and I felt like I had a lump in my throat. I checked my heart and it was fine, just a tad fast. I got off the bus a few mins later and felt very faint as I walked, I couldn't walk in a straight line It felt like the ground was moving, I felt dizzy and literally thought I was going to drop dead or collapse, I was trembling all over. It eased off after i sat down for a few minutes.

I've had panic attacks before but they never presented themselves in this way. I feel okay now, just a bit fatigued and my chest feels achy. I've had my heart seen by a cardiologist about 6 months ago and had all the usual tests, ECHO, ECG's, Holter, Bloods etc and everything came back normal. I've even had CBT for the panic and that has worked quite well (or so I thought). I don't know what to do at the moment, I was only up in my doctors about 10 days ago with dizziness, so I don't want to go back yet again. He'll probably think I'm insane.

But I can't seem to let go of what happened, it's been playing on my mind all day. I keep thinking that I MUST have a heart problem or something else that's caused this... It just didn't feel like a typical panic attack.

What do you think it was?
    What should I do?

Re: I have no idea what happened to me earlier on but it was scary!!!

It does sound like a panic attack hun and I doubt there's anything wrong with your heart. You said yourself it wasn't really any different just a little fast. That's just the adrenaline from the panic attack.
    I know you said it wasn't like a typical panic attack but they aren't always the same.
    Hope you're feeling somewhat better since earlier. Try not to get too consumed by it or start avoiding the bus, it'll just make it worse.

hi mate i would not worry to much u sound a bit like me lol my doc says if u were having a heart attack ud know bout it ud just hit the floor i to had a attack to night i felt red hot sick and chest shoulder pain i shit myself they are sooooooooo scary all so iv been feeling woozy for ages just for a second then its gone

Hi, I too felt odd waiting to see my friend on to his bus last Sunday after driving him over as he doesn't drive. I too felt all dizzy while waiting with him and felt I had to move around and couldnt stay still, I also felt really nauseous and it was a great relief when his bus came. It took me a while for it to subside afterwards, but it did subside a bit and so I was able to go shopping in Tesco. I am very prone to this kind of thing and can't help it happening, it is very distressing.

Hey,

I too get this. When I feel anxious, uptight etc. I begin to breathe deeply - more rapidly, feels like it's hard to breathe normally, then I panic, then it becomes worse, I try and ignore it (happening at work) so I fidget - move about to try and stop it, throat feels tight, feels lime a big golf ball is stuck! It's horrible. It sounds to me you had a panic attack. I've had them on trains, just like you did on the bus. Always remember coming back from London. Went to see a gig at Brixton. Had to go before they even come on! Full blown attack in the venue. Poor hubby :-( we went outside, calmed down only to have another about going on the underground!!!! Bear in mind I had never had attacks before, this was the start of it all! And I used trains to get to work! Doh! Then had a mini attack on the train home! Train was heaving, felt terrible, put iPod on! Listened to Bob Marley all the way home, had to close my eyes so couldn't see people! It was bloody terrible. I shook for hours after. Could not stop my whole body from shaking. And the rest is history...... I really don't think you have out wrong with your heart sweet. We are all here to help

Neen xx

Sounds like hyperventilation to me. It happens to me when I breathe incorrectly, even though I think I am breathing properly. When it is really bad my hands and face tingle and I go lightheaded, dizzy, cant walk properly and can't see properly.

Thanks for the replies everyone. They have really helped. I'm coming around to the idea that it probably was just a panic attack, maybe set off by hyperventilating. I feel tons better today, but that awkward breathing, heavy chest feeling has come back a few hours ago, hope it subsides. Guess I'll just see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone!

Thread Information