Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of flying and Diazepam 2mg

Fear of flying and Diazepam 2mg

I recently went to the doctors about my crippling fear of flying, she prescribed Diazepam 2mg to take 15 minutes before i get on the plane.

I have some questions about it, since i'm fairly new to anti-anxiety tablets.

Firstly what affects will it have on me? such as how will it relax me?

Also how long will it last? my flight is almost 5 hours long.

Thanks for the help,

Danni.

Re: Fear of flying and Diazepam 2mg

Suggestion: when you have a free day, take a tab so you will know the effect. 2mg is a fairly low dose and should just take the edge of things and, yes, it should last for 5 hours. Good luck. Baggs.

Hey,
    thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately the doctor only gave me two tablets (one for on the way there, and back)
    So i cannot :/

I was given 2mg diazepam for my fear of the dentist. I hadn't been in 10yrs and was terrified. I am proud to say that after 3months of work I now don't have sore teeth and I will go back for my check up in 6 months. They certainly worked for me.........calmed me without spacing me out. I get even more anxious if I don't feel in control. I also listened to a relaxation tape before my appointment. Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine.

Carol x

Thank you Carol,
    That makes me feel more positive

Hi Danni

My first experience with diazepam was for a similar thing: in 2008 I went to France and was scared to death of the channel tunnel part of the journey (I suffer from GAD). So my doc prescribed me 2mgs to help me with it. I was scared to to take it but when I did on my journey on the m'way to the tunnel I felt almost nothing and 2mg just took the edge off my anxiety but I still felt normal; not spaced or tired or weird.

It will help but don't expect much to happen - my GP had given me more than you have and advised me to take one in the morning of the journey and then just before going through the tunnel - she said this would have me really relaxed. But in the end I just took the one and was ok with that.

I have recently been prescibed them again for panic attacks and find that just 2mgs does just take the edge of the anxiety but still allows me to feel normal.

For me they are a wonder drug and it's a shame they are so addictive because in the world of anxiety meds/treatment they are one of the few things you can rely on to work. However, just 2mgs there and back on your journey won't raise any issues of addiction. You can expect to feel the effects for about 5-6 hours.

Pop the pill and sit back and get ready to feel 'nice' - it'll be a relaxing start to your holiday.

Best wishes, Deva

Thank you Deva.
    I'm still nervous, but if it takes the edge off I should be ok.

That comment has really helped,
    I will let you know how I get on

Danni, I used to take them before flying. On one flight I took 2 and they still had no effect. You might feel wierd sensation in your face, butyou'll be fine.

oh a a quick thing. Dont eat anything before taking them, else they wont work!

Oh, I didn't realise.
    How long before shouldn't I eat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information