Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polyp or uterine cancer - ladies please

Polyp or uterine cancer - ladies please

Hello all,

I haven't written for a long time because I thought I was much better, but I have a new worry and everything is spiralling again and I could really do with some advice or at least a sympathetic ear please.

I have been having irregular spotting (brown in colour - sorry if tmi!) for the last 3 months or so. This last time lasted over a week, I have been through ivf years ago so went to see my gynaecologist for a check up. He did a scan found that my womb lining was very thick for the time in my cycle and I had a 12mm dark spot in the middle. He said it is probably a polyp and to wait until I have had my next period and if I have any spotting after to go and see him again or my GP. I have also been having heavier periods and odd cramping.

I know I have been stupid but I have googled (I know, I know), and the symptoms for polyps and uterine cancer seem to be the same, but with uterine cancer the endometrium lining can appear extra thick. I am alternating between thinking polyps are very common etc and that is probably what it is and thinking that I seem to fit the uterine cancer profile better than the polyps.

I am so sorry for all of this, I did ask my gynae if it was anything to worry about and he said he would have told me if it was, but I just can't seem to calm myself down.

I would love to hear from someone, especially if they have had similar fears.
    Many thanks and love to all.
    C

Re: Polyp or uterine cancer - ladies please

Hey Twinsmummy,

Don't have your symptoms but have fear of Ovarian cancer at present. My GP reassures me after an pelvic exam that it is just my IBS playing up but is going to send me for a pelvic ultrascan to put my mind at rest.I know I should be reassured but just keep thinking what if..........HA is a vicious circle sometimes, you can literally spend all day panic striken. Is your GP good? Could you explain your fears & have another examination just to put your mind at rest? Good luck & big hugs xxx

Hi Pandagirl

Thank you for my reply. My GP's practice is pretty hopeless! Apparently there is one good doctor there but you cannot get an appointment with him! I think the waiting is the worst part (and googling!!!!). I wish you all the luck with your scan, I have had IBS in the past and it is debilitating. Have you tried Buscopan, I found it really useful for the spasming!

Kindest regards
    C

Hi there,you don't say how old you are hun. I have just had all this worry myself, i am currently scheduled for a hysteroscopy to check inside the uterus. I have hd about 2 years of irregular bleeding (ok i am also perimenopausal at 47) I was getting some spotting sometimes lasting 6 weeks, then normal periods for a while, then the odd day spotting etc etc. I was fairly sure it was just irregular cycle from perimeno but when i mentioned to my gp she was worried and sent me for a scan. The vaginal scan showed thickened endometrium and possible polyp. he endometrium was 14mm and this was just days after my period, so very much like yours. I was worried sick, like you and was sure i had cancer after googling. I saw my gyn last week and he reassured me a little. He siad polyps are really common and are universally benign. He wasn't worried but wants me to have it removed as it will no doubt get bigger and cause more irregular bleeding. I guess he wants to make sure its nothing serious too. I am trying not to worry too much, as so many people have had similar problems. If you have had IVS its possible the hormone levels have contributed to the problem. Polyps grow in an oestrogen rich environment so are very common with hormone fluctuations, perimeno, pregnancy etc etc. If your gyn wasn't ordering an endometrial biopsy he can't be overly worried at this stage, it may well settle itself and you need do nothing more. Good luck. x

Hello jessieblue.

Thank you very much for your reply, I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks (trying to relax!), I would love to have a holiday where I wasn't worried about anything health related!!

I am 40 years old (and my IVF was in 2003 so don't think that will have made any difference). I have not had any spotting yet this cycle (I'm on day 17 now), but I have been cramping quite badly for a week and it got so bad last night I had to take painkillers to sleep but I think it may have been a late ovulation (prob. because I am so stressed!) and it seems much better now.

The next bit is a bit graphic, please forgive me! My husband says it is very 'hot' inside me and sometimes he feels like he is burned!!! I have had a swab which was clear and my smear test has come back clear, I get terrible headaches between ovulation and my period starting so I am wondering if the whole thing is hormonal and I am out of balance somehow.

I have telephoned my gynae office and am waiting for them to call back to talk about a hystroscopy, but this is private and is over £1000, but I just don't know if I can face going to see my GP then waiting for the referral then waiting for more tests etc with the NHS. Can I ask what your experience has been?

Sorry for the rambling, I wish you all the best with your test and want to thank you for your time.

Kindest regards
    Cx
    Thanks for listening

I recently went to the docs with extremely irregular periods and brown discharge. Im 26, and my periods have always been as irregular as they are, since I started periods at age 10. By irregular I mean they differ in how far apart they are each time (shortest gap was about 4 days and longest 9 weeks), how heavy they are each time (from traces of blood in discharge to fairly heavy), to how long they last (from 5 to 14 days). I've never been on the pill or any other kind of hormonal birth control. Last 5 periods, they have consisted of thick dark brown discharge for about 6 days each time, with one day of bright red blood in discharge at very beginning which was very light. My latest period was 5 days of thick brown discharge and then 8 days of normal bright red bleeding. First two periods were two weeks aprt but gap between last three has been only 6 days gap.

My doc seemed to think it was all my periods but I worry its spotting as well. They just said to me it could all be hormonal but that they might do an ultrasound. Did they have to use a probe inserted inside, as this bit really freaks me out!!

Hello Louise

Please do not worry about the ultrasound (transvaginal I think it's called), I had many of them when trying to conceive and they are not bad really, nowhere near as uncomfortable as a smear test. The 'probe' is about the size of a largish tampon.

My best friend had very similar cycles to you and they eventually found she had endometriosis and she is on the pill to control her cycle. She got pregnant with both of her children in the first month after stopping her pill - so it obviously didn't affect her fertility!

I have a couple of friends (my sister included) who had heavy or irregular or hormonal problems and they are all now using a sort of very low hormonal releasing coil which means they don't have periods at all. I don't know if this would be any use to you (particularly because you are so young), but if your periods are bothering you, it may be something to look in to.

I wish you all the very very best, let me know how you get on.
    With best wishes
    C

Hello twins mummy

I just wanted to say that i read about uterine cancer and polyps and the endometrium ( lining) stuff and I took it be different from what you say.

It was an NHS thing that i read so im totally sure that its accurate. It said that the thicker lining can cause uterine cancer yes but also that polyps usually occur in thickened lining and the thickened lining is caused simply by having a lot of estrgoen. and that the normal age for uterine cancer is about 65 years and usually after menopause when the estrogen levels have been high for a long time, like years and years since the periods first started.

Sounds like you definately have a polyp, think your anxiety is biasing your thoughts on this hun.

take care sweetie, this too will pass!
    Lisa
    xxxx

Dear LisaLisa

You are such a sweetheart, I remember when I was posting a year ago reading some of your posts and they were always so kind and positive.

I have been trying to stay calm, I saw my GP this morning and he said my symptoms don't sound quite right and to go back to the clinic and have the further tests, so I have booked a hysteroscopy for Thursday morning. My husband is agreeing through gritted teeth (it is a private clinic so is going to cost a fortune!).

I am actually coping with this better than usual (I'm not just numb with blind panic) but would really like to find out what these pains are.

I will let you know how it goes, although I won't get the results for 2 weeks, but I guess they will be able to tell me if they have found a polyp or not.

Take care
    With hugs
    C

I had a uterine polyp removed last week and now waiting for results and really worried as I am post-menopausal (5 years since my last period).

Are there any other ladies out there who have been in a similar situation and what was the outcome? thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information