Thread: New job and panic attacks increasing

New job and panic attacks increasing

Hi everyone,

On wednesday I got offered a new job and excepted the offer as I now haven't worked for two months. I'm not even meant to be starting the job for 2 weeks. I left the last job I had after 2 days as my panic attacks had got so bad and I just felt crazy. I went to see the doctor and he put me on citalopram. I did feel a bit calmer on them. However since wednesday things have got much worse and for the past few nights have woken up in panic attacks which has never happened before. The job I have been offered is a really good opportunity but the way I feel im really considering just ringing up and saying I no longer what/need the job. The doctor put me on Sertraline yesterday and I started that today. I want to work but at the moment I really don't feel I can handle it. If I dont start the job I feel like im just letting everyone down and passing up something which could be good.

Any advice about what I should do or tips to help me would be so appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Becker; 31-07-10 at 19:01.

Re: New job and panic attacks increasing

Hi!

I think anyone starting a new job would feel worried about it, so you're not alone. I'm starting a new job soon and I do feel nervous about it, but am looking forward to it a lot too!
    If I were you, I wouldn't ring up and say you don't want it. It may be tempting and feel like it'll get rid of the anxiety, but then like you say, you could be missing out on something great.
    I'd start the job and see how it goes. Chances are it'll be loads easier than you think, things like this always are. Once you've done the first day it'll be easier then too, when you get to know the place and the people.
    I started a job a few years ago and felt awful about it. The night before I barely slept, I couldn't eat, and the first day I felt so on edge and nearly cried when there cos I was so anxious. That night I said I wasn't going back the next day, but I did, and it turned out to be the best experience ever and after a couple of weeks I was totally fine.

I'd def give it a go. Like I said, anyone would feel worried about a new job, so try not to let the fact that you're worrying bother you. Just see it as one day at a time. You are in control, you can nip to the loo if you need space, have a bottle of water, etc etc. After the first day I really think you'll feel a lot better and you can just take it from there. After a couple of weeks if it still seems impossible, then maybe then think about leaving, but at least you'll know you gave it a go!

Good luck!

Thread Information