Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe I can help you

Ammeg,
    Excuse me for saying but we are getting into the realms of repetitive stupidity now.
    I dont say I can cure everything and merely offer a different approach to what you maybe already receiving. To make it all sound like some big secret that only I know is ridiculuos.
    My methods are based purely on founded research and proven experiences andthat is all. I am sure that many other people practice either the same or similar methods too, to that I have never disputed.
    If your doctor or psychologist isnt working for you then change them, everybody has that right. But if all you need is help and support from the others on this site then (your statement), then you will not need a doctor or psychologist anyway will you?
    People can only find the 'cure' within themselves if they can start looking in the first place.

If you are able to dream it, then you are able to become it

Hi,

I really do believe that by changing the ways we think and by finding what causes our anxieties is the way that we can overcome them.

I was on meds for nearly 8 years, but as soon as I came off them, bam anxiety hit again, the meds just masked it never actually cured it.

I think it is a good thing to have different methods of trying to overcome anxiety as not one method would suit everyone.

Good luck Simon

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

HAVE RE -SENT IT ,

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE IT.

mirryx

Mirry, I have emailed you back.

Trac67, thank you for the post.
    You are indeed right, this is the problem that most people do not understand. While meds are good for numbing the problem they are only covering the issue, and the issue is the thing that needs dealing with.
    All too often the harsh reality of facing ones fears and issues scares people enough that they prefer the safety net of meds. I truly beleive that this will never help them long term. Just because a doctor prescribes meds does not make it the right choice. People who think so should go see their doctor and ask them what to do next. Tell them you want to come off the meds and progress. I guarantee that the docotr will nto be able to help, they will just try and pass you onto to someone else. The only reason they provide medication is because this is all they know, and any doctor would probably tell you that it is no solution, only a dulling down form of treatment. You have made a brave and intelligent decision Trac, and I wish you all the best for the future. If you ever want any help or support, feel free to let me know.

Hi simon and welcome to the forums.

I look forward into hearing how it goes with mirry.

I hope to hear good things about you.

Laura x

Hi Simon and welcome to the site. You have had a bit of a rough ride and I am quite surprised really as you are not the first therapist I have seen on this forum. Perhaps it was a bit too direct a plug to set your stall out as you did (prices etc) - if people learned you were a therapist through conversation, they may have contacted you anyway without the prompt.

However, if you manage to help just one person, it's worth it and I am a bit worried that all this negativity flying around might deter sufferers from seeking any sort of therapy, and that's not really a good thing. More choice is better than less.

Ultimately it's up to the moderators to set policy on advertising and decide what's in the best interest of the site, so I'm sure Nicola et al will give you the once over to make sure all is well.

On another positive note, you are welcome in your own right anyway as you have suffered from anxiety in the past and have overcome it. Perhaps you could let us know your story (in the Success Stories section)? It should be inspirational to others, especially as you now run your own business in the field.

Eeb x

Thanks Eeb.
    I do agree that it may not have been the best decision to advertise myself in such an upfront way, but I do believe in saying what i want, as I believe everbody else should. True it may have been better to just talk to people and then drop it in, but I would have felt a little deceptive doing it this way. Much better out in the open.
    I am glad to be welcomed by good people now that the majorit of drama has dispersed, and am in the process of writing out my history for the success stories.
    I have welcomed a conversation with Nicola, or anyone else for that matter who have concerns about my credentials.
    I just hope that this post doesnt put anyone off talking to a therapist or seeking other forms of help, as this was not my intention at all, and I hope and believe it was not the intention of others.

well...a lot has been said since my last post, but simon you really did not answer my queston when I asked about your credentials. I too, have a background in psychology, but I also have my diploma as an educator assistant, and am working on my second diploma as a child and youth counsellor. I am just curious, that is all. I am what you might say "not born yesterday", and have experienced things in my life that although they have made me wiser, and smarter, they have caused me pain too...things I would not wish upon anyone. But that is also why I choose to go into a profession to help people.
    Regarding treatment for anxiety disorders, they vary from each different disorder, and ow acute or non-severe the disorder is. For myself, I went 3 years without having major panic attacks and then they came back, for no apparent reason. I also have ADHD, which was diagnosed as I was a child, and I was on Ritalin as an adolescent. My psychiatrist had me on a very high dosage, and I began to feel depressed and had problems sleeping. So he put me on anit depressants and really strong sleeping pills called Imovane. My sister, who is ADD, was on the same mediation. When we were on vacation my sister OD'ed on her meds, tried to slash her wrists and took off, and when I finally found her, she was hallucinating, and going in and out of "herself" After that I stopped taking those medication, as well as my sister, so I am very sceptical of medication. As well, as having some background in psychology, I know that medication in most cases should be used with other treatments, like Applied Behavioural Therapy, Psychoanalysis, and other treatments. But there is no one treatment that will work on everyone. The same goes for medication...not all medication will work the same on all people.
    But I am also smart enough to know that there are some people out there that will try to take advantage of vulnerable people...people who are desperate for answers. I am NOT saying that you are one of them. I am just trying ot make others aware that there are people out there like that, and to be cautious.
    When you cam on here, my first impression was that it seemed very unprofessional to come on a message board to offer your services (and saying the price). I really think that you may have sounded more credible, if you stated your credentials, on your first post....becasue that is what you would do in say an advertisement in the paper.
    I truly hope that your intentions were good, but you must understand why some people would be offended and/or sceptical.

Hi Simon

Perhaps if you set out the 'bare bones' of your method, you would go some way to allaying peoples' concerns.

Personally, I think therapy would be a great way forward for many people but trying to find a therapist who knows what they are on about is like standing under a fountain with a cup.

I spent well over 4k in a 6 month period before I found a therapy that sat right with me.

I would just like to say that I think you are giving Simon a hard time here.

He only offered his services, he isn't pushing them upon anyone, and if anyone doesn't agree with his methods then they don't need to contact him or to read the thread.

Like I said before I did the meds, and I honestly think that the only way of actually overcoming anxiety is by changing your way of thinking and if what Simon does helps people to overcome it then he is doing a good job.

Have you actually thought that a doctor is paid to prescribe meds as it is his job, so Simon charges for his services as this is his job.

I think the harsh comments really arent called for.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information