Thread: What rights do I have?

What rights do I have?

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if anyone knows what rights we anxiety sufferers have so far as being signed off for anxiety and workplace stress? My concern is that I'm working at the moment and have refused despite appalling experiences in work to go sick for my anxiety because I'm already under investigation for sickness awaiting an occupational health report as my works have a strict sickness policy and having had 2 weeks off with shingles that the doctor deduced was work stress induced tipped me over the "allowable" without action indicators.
    I'm so stressed, depressed, anxious and strung out I really need to get away from work and doctor has said I should take time off and she will happily sign me off at any point I feel I can't cope. Well I'm not coping and it's compounded by worrying that if I allow the doctor to sign me off I'll get into more trouble in work. I'm being told by friends and family that for stress and anxiety they can't touch me no matter how long up to six months I have off but I just feel they are out to get me anyway.
    I'm desperate for a new job and apply left right and centre but in the curtly climate competition is fierce and while I know I've excellent skills when it cones to competing or showing off as we have to do in applications and interview I've just lost all confidence that anyone would be interested in me.
    Basically I feel from things said and done to me in work that I'm heading for pulling them up on constructive dismissal and am seeking legal advice for that.
    I know many fellow sufferers on here have gotten signed off and many companies have their own sickness policies but does anyone know if we have legal rights over sickness absence?

My head is spinning , I'm frazzled and know I need the time off but I can't bring myself to do it for fear of reprisal or being sacked

"The moment is all we have. The past is gone, the future never arrives. When we are preoccupied with the future, we miss living now..."

Re: What rights do I have?

CAB will tell you exactly where you stand in regards to sickness from work. I know that they can't sack you for being off sick, if they want rid of you they could make you redundant & pay you off as long as you had been there 2 years but it isn't much.

You shouldn't have to be in work if you are sick for fear of them sacking you, it's not right.

Maybe ACAS would give you information even though you may not be a member of the union.

Els

Re: What rights do I have?

The final straw came on Monday, i spent the entire day crying my eyes out in work...not a single person asked if I was okay. Came out of work to meet my husband, he said i looked like death. I left exhausted and absolutely unable to contemplate another day in work feeling as I have done.
    I went to the doctors yesterday and been signed off for 3 weeks citing Depresion and Anxiety, Seems my doctor thinks my current issue is more depression that anxiety and I can't believe it's led to this.
    Have written a rather scathing letter outlining my concerns to my bosses, HR department and Union reps in order that they could much better understand where i'm coming from and how their actions have led me to the decision to leave work on sick leave because I can't cope with the constant disappointments and let downs any longer and have been left with little/no trust or faith in my management

Funny how i'd wound myself in knots stressing about the fact I knew I needed to go sick but couldn't bring myself to do it for fear of being pulled up on it but as soon as i'd done it and called my manager I felt a massive weight lifted off of my shoulders. My husband is so pleased I finally did it,he'd been so worried about me and in the end if not for me i had to do it for him. Feel awful now that I had him worrying about me so greatly whilst I hadn't the strength to look after myself, but now he can't wait for me to start getting better.
    I can't wait to start feeling more human...when i stop sleeping so much. Amazing how much mental anguish and stress can take it out of you!

"The moment is all we have. The past is gone, the future never arrives. When we are preoccupied with the future, we miss living now..."

Thread Information