Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "You have the worst panic attacks I've ever seen"

"You have the worst panic attacks I've ever seen"

Sorry this message is fairly long but I'm sure that any panic disorder sufferer can relate it to their own condition. I have suffered with panic since I was around 7 years old. I am now 33. My condition has worsened over this time and is now at its worst. However, now it has destroyed my life I am finally confronting it. I would just like to tell you about it so that you may learn something about your own condition and also give you some advice about how panic can be treated as, believe me, as my doctor has said " you have the worst and most frequent panic attacks I've ever seen".

Firstly let me tell you about me. I am extremely strong-minded and the various councillors, psychotherapists, herbalists, psychiatrists, doctors, A&Es, kineisilogists etc never really helped. MY mind used to whisper "dont listen to them, they haven't got a clue. Your panic attacks are worse than anybody elses, you will die, they don't really care about you etc".

I remember my first panic attack when I was 7 years old. I was on my first holiday at the time with my mother and stepfather. I had a very bad childhood and lived in a run-down area. My dad was an alcoholic and left when I was 2 years old. My mum who was only 17 when she had me used to leave me and my brother alone at home all night a the age of 5 years. As my brother was younger than me, I had to look after him. Sometimes I would have to get my brother ready for nursery on my own and take him to nursery before going to school. Nobody ever knew this was going on and I never knew it was something I had to call Social Services about. When I was seven my mother was out and I was eating a large boiled sweet. I coughed and the whole sweet when down the back of my throat and lodged there. I panicked and started running round the house hysterical thinking I was going to die. I found a loaf of bread and ate some of the pieces which eventually pushed the sweet down.

When I was 9 my mother and new stepfather took me on my first holiday. It wasnt too far away from my home but far enough to cause me to panic. I had numerous attacks which my parents laughed at and didn't eat for the entire week as my throat would not allow me to swallow food. As soon as I got home I was ok. I was ok until I was 13.

At about the age of 13, I was taking some exams at school at it was winter. It was getting dark earlier and I remember as soon as it got dark I began shallow breathing. The breathing got worse, I got dizzy, couldn't breath, felt faint, the usual symptons etc and thought that I was going to die. I then became pre-occupied with reading books about my health. I would read up on every disease, sympton etc. To this day, I am convinced I could become a doctor!! FRom then on, my panic attacks usually came every day from then on until the age of 21. I couldn't be left on my own as this made it worse. When I was 21 I met my partner. He was lovely and we had my daughter when I was 25. As soon as she was born my panic started again. I kept thinking I was going to die all the time. I went to my doctor over 80 times in four months and was always in A&E. I used to exaggerate my symptons so that they would do tests on me. I had to keep moving doctors so that they wouldn't notice I was going all the time. I always felt worse in the middle of the night as the doctors weren't around. I even moved to be next door to a surgery in case I was going to die. Eventually I lost my job as I was constantly having to leave the office and could never tell anyone I had this condition. Even when I lost my job I wouldn't tell anyone. I kept having to call my partner from various places like the supermarket, work etc. to come and get me. I was having about 6 attacks a day at this point.

I started seeing various people including councillors etc, but although I might have felt mildly happier when I left them, panic attacks would then start even on the way home from them! Anywhere I had experienced a panic attack I would avoid until eventually I couldn't go anywhere. I would

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

hi ya andrea you will get some grat friend on here and advice i have found it so helpful

amanda x

Welcome aboard Amanda!!

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Hi Andrea,

You have had a tough time there hun (can especially relate to the boiled sweet incident) I hope you will feel among friends here and realise no matter how bad your panic attacks you can deal with them and get it all back together.

Have a good nose around the site and post with any particular things you want or need to share and we'll see if we can help.

Welcome

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

andrea please dont be angry at me, but i feel you have been through a really tough time. parents are supposed to be there for you and yours have let you down. this is harder than most things people have to deal with. i hope we will not let you down so quickly as this. you are here to tell your story, that is a success story in itself.

the reason why i am apologisin gthough is that i went from crying to laughing at the thought of you hitting the dentist. not being a lover of dentists ( apologise if any of you are one) i couldnt stop laughing. i dont mean to offend but you really made me laugh. for someone who spends her days with 4 small children its good to get a laugh from a fellow adult.

anyway, i hope this site is really helpful to you,you need a bit of support and i hope we can give you that. i will surely try

take care
    jackie

Hi Andrea,

Just so glad you found us, and joined us. What a story you have to tell.

There are loads of people on here that have gone through such trauma in their lives, but they can still climb back. And that includes you. We are here for each other and that helps us loads.

I suggest you make a posting on the "Meet Ups and Get Togethers" board. We try to have meet-ups in different parts of the country, and now spring is approaching, it seems the ideal time.

Take Care,

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

hi andrea
    welcome to this iste
    take care denisexxx

denise

Hi Andrea and welcome to the site.

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the forum.

As the others have said you will get some good advice here & learn alot of things too.

Take Care

Alexandra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information