Thread: New and saying hi

Red face New and saying hi

Hi, I'm new and i just thought I would interduce myself before doing anything else.

I'm 13 years old and i'm an emetophobe.
    I have been this way for as long as i can remember and can't really understand where the inital fear came from. I am afraid of both being s* and of people around me being s*. I hate this as it practically controlls my whole life.

I think i would be able to cope slightly with this fear if i had somebody who i could trust that actully understands how much of a struggle my life is. I wish that i could confine in my parents as i love them very much but anything that they don't know about is like pathetic to them.

I found this site and i hope it could help me in anyway as latley i have been felling so depressed. It is proberly because it's the summer holidays and my parents are off work so we tend to go on more day-trips. I love day trips but i hate getting there. I always get into the car (a 7 seater car) with my dad in the drivers seat, my mum in the passengers seat, my two year old sister (who sleeps through most of the drives) behind my dad, me behind my mum and my two seven year old sisters in the seats in the very back.

I always fell anxios at the start of the drive as my seven year old sisters have a tendincy to get ' travel s*' but after a while i seen to be coaping with it. It's not untill one of them mentions having a sore tummy or somthing along those lines that i start to freak-out. It's not like i want to but i just can't control my self and i fell like a complete lunitic. the palms of my hands always begin to get sweatty and my heart pounds so fast i can hardly breath propery, I always end up in a fit of tears even if my sisters are fine, what makes it worse is the fact that being scared so much makes me fell ill and i just can't controll myself. It's so bad because my parents don't understand what this is like and always end up saying "GROW up!!" or "get a grip of yourself" They are not bad parents but i just want to know if anyone has anyways that i could tell them and make them undersatnd???

I was also wondering if you or anyone you know has ever been cured of this??

This may sound really horribule but- i hate this fear so much that most of the time i would rater die that see s* In any way

Re: New and saying hi

Welcome to NMP. I hope that this site helps you as much as it's helped me. All the best. Baggs.

Hi Caitlin,

Im sure u will find lots of help and support from this website as i have done over the years - no one will judge you on here and you can ask whatever you want for reassurance (no matter how stupid u think it is) people on here always understand.

I too am emetophobic, iv had this phobia since I was 11 (im now 22)
    Mine started on my first day of high school when i was s*ck after eating something from the canteen and having been ill infront of loads of year 11s, i was very embarrased! Although this doesnt bring back bad memories and i wasnt laughed at, and got help from my friends and got sent home - we've put this situation down as the start of my phobia!

I too get panicky/anxious when being a passenger in someones car - that is completely normal with this phobia! Because we all know travel sickness can happen so we automatically think it will happen and get very scared about it... im fortunate to be able to drive, so i drive myself everywhere - i trust certain people to drive me around, but i try to drive myself, suppose its a way of control!
    My main fear if myself being s*ck, hense why i struggle so much being a passenger in someones car but i also fear other people being s*ck around me.... i freak out if someone tells me they feel ill or sick incase i catch it!

This phobia drives me mad, it really does! And the worst part about it is that its not visual - people cant see it, so sometimes judge or dont believe it!
    I can imagine u are feeling very frustrated about ur parents etc - mine have understood over the years, but dont seem that bothered about it anymore - suppose they think im older so i dont need much support from them! If only they knew...!!

Have u thought about showing your parents this website? Maybe they will be able to understand things abit more... or getting a book for them to read?

Have you got any help for this phobia? Iv had CBT in the past, and im currently doing de-sensitation with my CBT therapist, which is basically getting de-sensitised to s*ck..... looking at pictures, watching videos, making s*ck recipes... u name it, ive got to do it!! lol

It is helping though and iv noticed a real difference so i would recommend it!

If you want to chat about anything, dont hesitate to p/m me because id be happy to chat! Iv had this for the past 11 years, so i know an awful lot about this stupid thing... with this i also suffer from panic attacks (which is what u described with ur pounding heart etc... do u get that alot?) abit of social phobia (fearing people might be s*ck around me) agrophobia (wanting to stay near home incase i got ill) generalised anxiety and health anxiety...... it sounds alot, but im still normal trust me lol
    I still work, have bf, go out with friends etc.... i just struggle sometimes more than other people do!

Hope iv helped x

traveling anywhere at a distance isent that good for anyone. does get distressing sometimes depends where it is and could cause sickness feelings at hot and bothered but imsure you be fine that just read other peaples answers and see what ya think good luck

Quote Originally Posted by fairyclairy View Post
    Hi Caitlin,

Im sure u will find lots of help and support from this website as i have done over the years - no one will judge you on here and you can ask whatever you want for reassurance (no matter how stupid u think it is) people on here always understand.

I too am emetophobic, iv had this phobia since I was 11 (im now 22)
    Mine started on my first day of high school when i was s*ck after eating something from the canteen and having been ill infront of loads of year 11s, i was very embarrased! Although this doesnt bring back bad memories and i wasnt laughed at, and got help from my friends and got sent home - we've put this situation down as the start of my phobia!

I too get panicky/anxious when being a passenger in someones car - that is completely normal with this phobia! Because we all know travel sickness can happen so we automatically think it will happen and get very scared about it... im fortunate to be able to drive, so i drive myself everywhere - i trust certain people to drive me around, but i try to drive myself, suppose its a way of control!
    My main fear if myself being s*ck, hense why i struggle so much being a passenger in someones car but i also fear other people being s*ck around me.... i freak out if someone tells me they feel ill or sick incase i catch it!

This phobia drives me mad, it really does! And the worst part about it is that its not visual - people cant see it, so sometimes judge or dont believe it!
    I can imagine u are feeling very frustrated about ur parents etc - mine have understood over the years, but dont seem that bothered about it anymore - suppose they think im older so i dont need much support from them! If only they knew...!!

Have u thought about showing your parents this website? Maybe they will be able to understand things abit more... or getting a book for them to read?

Have you got any help for this phobia? Iv had CBT in the past, and im currently doing de-sensitation with my CBT therapist, which is basically getting de-sensitised to s*ck..... looking at pictures, watching videos, making s*ck recipes... u name it, ive got to do it!! lol

It is helping though and iv noticed a real difference so i would recommend it!

If you want to chat about anything, dont hesitate to p/m me because id be happy to chat! Iv had this for the past 11 years, so i know an awful lot about this stupid thing... with this i also suffer from panic attacks (which is what u described with ur pounding heart etc... do u get that alot?) abit of social phobia (fearing people might be s*ck around me) agrophobia (wanting to stay near home incase i got ill) generalised anxiety and health anxiety...... it sounds alot, but im still normal trust me lol
    I still work, have bf, go out with friends etc.... i just struggle sometimes more than other people do!

Hope iv helped x
    Thanks for the welcome

I have never had any help for my phobia because i have always been to inbarrised/shy to admit it.

I think showing my parents this website is quite a good idea!

Well u certainly dont have to feel embarrased on here!

Have a go at sharing this website with ur parents and see what happens.. Im sure they will be very reassuring and supportive towards u bcos theyl only want to help an want the best 4 u.

Its good to keep in mind that sometimes they might seem angry at ur phobia.. But this doesnt mean they are angry at u, theyl just be frustrated bcos they cant fully understand an they cant just take it away and make u feel better.

Dont be embarrased about ur phobia - maybe after reading this website, ul begin to understand it more and realise its nothing to be embarrased about - just one of those things we have to deal with x

Hello Caitlin,
    Maybe you should ask your parents to have a look at this site, maybe i might help them to understand a little better.
    Sorry i cannot be off more help to you.
    You take care and enjoy your holidays.

Hi and welcome to NMP Paige x

Quote Originally Posted by sharon35 View Post
    Hello Caitlin,
    Maybe you should ask your parents to have a look at this site, maybe i might help them to understand a little better.
    Sorry i cannot be off more help to you.
    You take care and enjoy your holidays.
    Yeah i think i will.
    Yeah i love the summer holidays it's nice to get a little break once in a while.

Thread Information