Hello. I have a curious situation and I'm looking for advice.

I'm not sure if I have any form of anxiety disorder. In the past, I've had serious problems dealing with social situations, although I've always felt comfortable on stage or in front of a classroom (I'm a teacher). I feel I've gotten much better dealing with social situations over the past year or so. I do have a tendency to get "choked up" when discussing anything remotely emotional in public.

Here's the problem. During the semester, I go to graduate school and teach college. Over the summer, I work with a small group of mentally ill children, developing a summer education program for them. The first summer I worked with the kids, I broke down crying during our "graduation ceremony" on the last day. I was extremely anxious two weeks before the last day, and often felt edgy. Breathing and sleeping were both difficult. Last summer, I began to feel the same anxiety and was able to sneak out quickly on the last day. This year, they are planning a graduation ceremony again and I'm already feeling anxious, even though it's weeks away. There are no rational reasons for this anxiety. I'm don't feel sad or depressed. I can't target any reason for my feelings -- it's as though the physical symptons appear before I even start thinking consciously about leaving.

I feel as though I'm going to stop breathing or start weeping, to the point where I can hardly breath or speak, on the last day. I'm not a weepy person otherwise. I'm familiar with meditation techniques and have done yoga for a few years. Breathing techniques seem to have only a slight effect.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I'm pretty much locked into giving a speech on the last day this summer and I'm already terrified. Any advice would be welcome.

Doug