Thread: I can't swallow food :(

I can't swallow food :(

This is a huge problem. I find it very very hard to eat ANYTHING!! I feel as though everything i am eating is getting stuck in my throat. It is such a horrible sensation. It got to the stage where my GP prescribed me protein shakes (which i had to stop taking as i found out i was pregnant) but it's back now.
    It really is taking over my life!! Not only can i not eat in front of friends and family, i can not eat any of the foods i use to love!! I eat very soft things, or soup. I use to love italian and indian food but can't eat any of it now.

Does anyone have any advice?
    I have no idea why i can't eat, i have never had a bad experience or chocked

Re: I can't swallow food :(

Ask your GP to refer you to a speech therapist. I know it sounds odd but I see them about my swallowing problems and it does help.

They can talk to you about things and even arrange for you to get an x-ray done when you are eating to make sure everything is working as it should be.

It will ease your mind anyway

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Really?

Thank you very much for your reply, i have an appointment with my GP next week so i will make sure i ask.
    xx

Yes I see them at the local hospital and they explain how swallowing works and even made me eat in front of them so they could listen to me swallowing to make sure it was ok.

I haven't needed the x-rays but they said that they would be able to see if there were little pockets in the throat where food was getting stuck and irritating me.

By the way it is all related to anxiety in my case and I learn to live with it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hello, im new to this site but have the same problems... i literally feel as if i have lost the mechanismn that allows me to swallow, its so scary. Im sure this is anxiety related. Globus hystericus is what ive been told, i am back to see my gp in the morning. try and stay calm, we can actualluy swallow.. xx bless you i know how you are feeling.
    jo

Thread Information