Thread: Breathing Problems..

Breathing Problems..

Hi,

For the past 4 months i have been doing so well with my anxiety but on Saturday night i was out with friends in a club and for some reason i started to have a panic attack. It passed fairly quickly and i danced the night away. But then yesterday i was left with breathing problems, mainly a tight chest and short breathing! I do have asthma but not sure that this is asthma related.

Has anyone ever experienced this after a panic attack? Because anxiety is so powerful i can't remember if this has happened before with other panic attacks as the rational part of my brain is being drowned out with anxiety.

Please help..

Thanks

Re: Breathing Problems..

It could be the effects of overbreathing or hyperventilating! I had this all day every day for weeks when my anxiety first kicked off. It was cuz I breathe so fast without even realising half the time, that my body had too much oxygen and was trying to slow me down which lead to chest tightness and feeling like I couldnt take in a decent breath (if you get me). I find if you try to slow yourself down instead of letting your body do it for you it's less scary. I still get it now from time to time but I just force myself to slow down with big deep breaths.

I had very bad asthma as a child, the attacks still very fresh in my mind though, and it feels completely different to any asthma related breathing problems I've had. If you're unsure you could just pop to the doctor and ask him if everythings ok! xxx

Re: Breathing Problems..

I get the same its almost feels like someone is sitting on your chest and stopping you from breathing properly I get it quite a lot and find breathing in a paper bag helps x

Thread Information