Thread: Flying on Saturday

Flying on Saturday

Well This summer holiday has been a constant anxiety. I managed Woolacombe, Devon three weeks ago . The lead up really took me to hell and back , some of the thoughts going through my head really scared me. I was up all night being sick but somehow got in the car for the 5 hour journey to devon. We really had a wonderful holiday and I managed 6 1/2 hours on the way back, traffic not good on m25

So I become calm for a bit then hello we are back again flying on Saturday to Spain. This is my first time in a plane for 15 years and first time abroad in 7. Im trying with the relaxation , positive thinking but its soooo difficult. I was showing my daughter the take off on youtube and she felt really excited and I hit the wall . It looks so cramped in the ryanair planes , i just dont know how im going to manage for two hours. Im not afraid of crashing its the claustrophobic feelings and that I cant escape.

Anyone managed one of these flights ????

Julie xx

Re: Flying on Saturday

first let me say good for you ,,i had the chance to fly yesterday with my daughter to spain ,as you can see she went i didnt fear overtook me ,but when i was at the airport i regreted not going so go on you will be ok

Hi Julie go for it you will be on the plane such a short time and think how pleased you will be with your achievment . maybe listen to a relaxation cd or something you enjoy .
    I have a similar problem not been on a proper holiday abroad for about 4 yrs last yr went to france on ferry/road with all the family and suffered the most horrendous panic attacks and was unable to join in with a lot of the visits that everyone else enjoyed and spent lots of time sat in the car weeping , then when i got home i joined NMP and wish i had done it before the holiday like you have .

Take Care and have a lovely holiday Maggie
    PS i am looking to book a week in tenerife in oct fingers xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Julie
    You will be fine
    I went to Turkey and also Florence in April and May
    I have also booked to go to Lanzarote in October
    You will do it
    Take some relaxation tapes with you and play them when the plane has taken of that is what I did and I also took some rescue remedy with me
    Good Luck
    Let us know how you get on

Joan

Thanks for the replies. I had a very sleepless night last night, all those what ifs in my head and frequent visits to the loo! My shoulders are so tight but im trying to feel loose and do as claire weeks says accept and float. Seems to be working today with a little help from rescue remedy.

The things we put ourselves through !! I'm going to try and break the flight up into half an hour stages plus take my ipod and lots of mags

Julie

Hi Julie

I am flying out to Rhodes tonight and i am really trying to keep my anxiety at bay this morning but its very difficult. The doctor suggested taking a diazapam an hour before flying which i am gonna try not to do. I am taking my little dvd player onboard with my relaxation cd so i can play that when we take off. I can understand totally how you are feeling,but you will be fine Just try and relax and enjoy getting some decent sunshine lol

Hi Julie

I have claustrophobia and pa's. I couldn't get on a family holiday flight to Crete in 2005 but in 2007 I flew Ryanair to Dublin with my sister and it was fine. I didn't sleep the night before and I even called her and said "we're going by ferry", but I did fly and it was fine, I was feeling extremely anxious the whole time, but it didn't materialise into a pa. The plane wasn't too small, I enjoyed looking out of my sisters window as we got into the flight and when we landed I was so exctatic that I'd done it. Need to keep this up and have another flight soon.

Good luck - you deserve a break. xx

Thread Information