Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postnatel Anxiety, Please read x

Postnatel Anxiety, Please read x

Hiya im 26 and had my 3rd child ten months ago. my anxiety started the day after my youngest was born, i remember it well. i was sat at home and had just finishing feeding her, she fed an awful lot and obviously with it only being the day after she was born i was still very tired and i sat there thinking to myself that i should get some sleep before she wakes for the next feed. it was about 8pm and i laid down and closed my eyes, all of a sudden i had this uncontrollable fear of falling to sleep, i busrt into tears and my poor hubby wondered what on earth was going on. it took him 6 hours to calm me down, i couldnt explain it, i was just terrified to sleep, i had awful images of dying in my sleep and this went on every single night for about 3 months, then my anxiety started to wear off a little and i only really felt it when tired,stressed or overwhelmed.

It turned into health anxiety quite quickly and so that whats i thought it was. i eneded up running to my gp during a panic attack thinking i was going mad. he wasnt very supportive infact he told me i had pnd and anxiety and that it was my own fault!! he prescribed me fluxotine (prozac) but i knew i didnt have pnd, it felt so very different to that, plus i wasnt sad, or disconnected from my baby, i had no doubts about myself as a mother and my health visitor agreed i didnt have pnd. so i refused to take the fluxotine and decided to overcome this myself.

my baby is now ten months old and i can honestly say my anxiety only bothers me during my period every month. two days before it starts, one day during and two days after it finishes, its the same every month now like clockwork. it also is nowhere near as bad as it was. now i just get a little wobbly but i can talk myself out of it now, i feel stronger and know i am strong enough to beat it.

My health visitor has told me it is postnatel anxiety and its hormone based so once my hormones settle so should my anxiety and so far she is right. i know that it wasnt just the birth that triggered it, i had an awful lot of bad family issues to deal with at the same time as little one was born. my own mother disowned me the week before she was born and to this day has still not met her. i think it all added up to be too much at one time to deal with.

my main reason for starting this thread is because i have been informed that postnatel anxiety is not that well known yet, only few doctors actually diagnose this to be a condition and most just say its pnd, but it is a condition (i hate using that word) and it is very different to pnd. im hoping by telling you all about my experiences and my story that if any of you are feeling the same you will now know what to look out for and what to tell your gp if this is what you think you have. the good thing about postnatel anxiety is that it is hormone based which means it will get better in time and you all can and will overcome it just like i am doing. there is a light at the end of the tunnel and i have no doubt that we will all reach that light in our own time very soon.

i hope my thread has helped some of you to understand your not alone and you can and will get through this. its especially hard when you have little ones to look after too so make sure you ask for help whenever you need it and have support around you.

Hugs to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: Postnatel Anxiety, Please read x

Hi

I have suffered with post natal anxiety and it is not very nice at all. I had mine after my daughter was born 32 years ago, and my doctor recognised it straight away when I went to see him. However, I was then put on a "new" drug (a benzodiazepine) called Ativan, which he told me was not addictive (we now know it is), and it worked very well indeed. So well, that I stayed on this drug for over 20 years (mad) and I guess I was dependent on it. But, my doctor kept on giving me repeat prescriptions so I kept on taking it. We never knew about Ativan then, never had the internet or anything, and I had a terrible time coming off of it in 2004. But I am off it now have been for 4 years (completely) but I still suffer from anxiety, and it has got so bad in the last few weeks that I am going to see my GP about it as I cannot go on like this. Anxiety is a horrible thing to go through I dont wish this on anyone. My post natal anxiety was caused by hormone fluctuation, and I guess that now it is the menopause, how time flies!

Chris
    WAS ON LORAZEPAM FOR 27 YEARS AFTER POST NATAL ANXIETY. THEN, WHEN DOCTORS WANTED PEOPLE "OFF" OF THESE DRUGS I WENT THROUGH A HELLISH WITHDRAWAL OF 16 MONTHS. I STILL SUFFER ANXIETY ATTACKS......

Thank you for replying chris.

I am doing ok at controlling it but during my periods i get quite bad, its starting to annoy me more than scare me now, i just want it gone! im only 26 yet i have found myself wishing for the menopause so then in a couple of years all hormones are gone! sort of! mad i know but i would rather that than have this for another 20 years!

mine seems to focus on fears, ie blindness, death and brain tumours, im struggling today a little bit too as im due on and its not very nice. im resisting the urge to google brain tumour symptoms lol

xx

Jen. My child is now 1 1/2 and I could have written your post. Mine was very intense straight after birth, I started getting palpitations - which I mentioned while I was in hospital and they just basically ignored.

It was so bad at the beginning that I missed out on a lot of things and social activities because of my anxiety.

When my periods came back at 6 months it started to get a bit more of a pattern to it and I noticed it was starting off about 10 days before my period was due and then would tail off a few days after my period started.

This is like clockwork now every month. It gets really bad and this month - yesterday - I was stuck down with fear in the supermarket. I have been having a heavy hearbeat for a couple of days solid.

If you read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premens...horic_disorder

this sums me up to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by dodo View Post
    Jen. My child is now 1 1/2 and I could have written your post. Mine was very intense straight after birth, I started getting palpitations - which I mentioned while I was in hospital and they just basically ignored.

It was so bad at the beginning that I missed out on a lot of things and social activities because of my anxiety.

When my periods came back at 6 months it started to get a bit more of a pattern to it and I noticed it was starting off about 10 days before my period was due and then would tail off a few days after my period started.

This is like clockwork now every month. It gets really bad and this month - yesterday - I was stuck down with fear in the supermarket. I have been having a heavy hearbeat for a couple of days solid.

If you read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premens...horic_disorder

this sums me up to a T.
    Hi
    thank you for your reply, i had never heard of PMDD before so thank you for the link, that sounds just like me too. my anxiety has got a lot better since i started this thread but it is a few days before my period until the 2nd or 3rd day and then it eases off and disappears again for a couple of weeks! im quite happy you have told me about this though because it does make alot of sense. i knew my anxiety was down to my hormones but that link proves it now. thank you.

I truly believe thus is what I am suffering from but the dr doesn't seem willing to accept this explanation. It's so frustrating. I would really like some help and advice with it but they keep fobbing me off. Grrrr.

Thank you for this post. I've been keeping a diary and it looks like there is a pattern forming!
    Jo

Interesting , I had my first panic attack after i had my son 20 years ago . I was told it was PND but i kept telling the doctor i was not depressed. I was put on anti - depressants which did no good at the time , i weaned myself of them after 6 months .
    I have always said there is a difference between deppression and anxiety and i do believe that one can lead to the other which has happened to me over the years .
    Who knows if the problem was addressed at the time would it have made any difference ?
    Do not let them fob you off . I think there is a link beteween anxiety and hormones .
    Paige x

I have just had my 4 th child she is 3 weeks today andy anxiety has came bk bad I have t been out to scared its really getting me down.

The doc said baby blues but I'm not depressed or crying I just feel anxious and its taking over now.

The doc says once my hormones die down then the anxiety will go away

I'm hoping it won't be to long as not leaving the house isn't the best

Quote Originally Posted by mumof4 View Post
    I have just had my 4 th child she is 3 weeks today andy anxiety has came bk bad I have t been out to scared its really getting me down.

The doc said baby blues but I'm not depressed or crying I just feel anxious and its taking over now.

The doc says once my hormones die down then the anxiety will go away

I'm hoping it won't be to long as not leaving the house isn't the best

Your doc is correct, my anxiety has eased an awful lot to the point where i am fine completely anxiety free until my period but even that has died down, i used to be anxious a week upto my period and then during but now im only anxious the day before and the day it starts then im ok again.

touch wood my period is due and a little late and im still not anxious so hopefully this month i wont have any anxiety at all.

hormones play a huge part in anxiety. a person with no anxiety issues at all can still feel anxious during their period so obviously us anxiety sufferers feel it more but once your hormones settle down so will your anxiety, you just need to hang on in there, cope with it as best as you can and remember it wont be around forever x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information