Quote Originally Posted by svissloki View Post
Many professionals told me that when I started taking ' Citalopram ' that my anxiety and upset may get worse for the first little while.

After over nine months of taking citalopram I know that is not the case. I wonder if health professionals feel it is beneficial to tell patients this so they will not get disheartened when they start taking it.

Supposedly your body needs time to adjust to it, and it has an accumulative effect.

I felt anxious, upset and was experiencing regular panic attacks before I started on citalopram - that was the reason for starting this medication. Its really not something you want to hear is it ! ... " here's a medication to help relieve your suffering, but oh it may make you worse to start with ! " ...in my opinion that is sheer madness. ( It's almost like kicking you when you are down ).

Anyway my point is, on critical reflection, I felt no better and no worse when I started taking it - but I was regularly taking benzodiazapines to calm me on bad days, so maybe I didn't notice.

Here I am over nine months on - I went from 10mg to 20mg to 30mg ... and things aren't better. I still feel anxious as hell, I still get panic attacks and still feeling totally hopeless and lost.

Left to my suffering and pretty much ignored by professionals, I am left to seek out other help.

Although my GP grudgingly prescribed me 5mg diazepam when needed ( 14 at a time ! ) ...it does not cut it. I have found a medication they use in Japan, India and Italy called ' etizolam ' ... I'd say it has possible saved me from discomfort and suffering for the last year. It works and I can stop taking it and have none, then next week take a half or one when I really need it.

I really don't know why it is not prescribed in the UK, because it works !

I am starting to taper off citalopram, because I see no benefit other than for the naive who it works for by the magical power of ' I believe '. For me however, I am realistic, fully aware and critical of these medications.

Either it works or it doesn't ! ... none of this trying it for months to see if it might possibly have some effect and help you - sounds like an evil money maker to me.

Give people a med to treat their problems and ease their suffering, one that works right away, and actually does work.

The confusion and upset surrounding SSRI medication is global and unbelievably disgusting !

I feel sorry for any of you out there who have your life on hold while you take a medication that may or may not work for you.
How did ur taper go? Ive been on 10mg for 3 weeks and 3 days and i cant eat, lost 21 lbs. been bed bound with fear and anxiety. I need to come off them but terrified of withdraws as I'm already in a frantic.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk