Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram & Depression

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Citalopram & Depression

Hi,

This is my first posting on this site but I have tried for a bit to find something like this just to see what other people are going through and to know I知 not alone. I have recently started on Citalopram
    For a mixture of depression and panic attacks.

This is now day five on them and I guess I知 looking for reassurance I feel really awful as I知 writing this. The partner has went out and left me with the 3 kids all under 3 so I知 finding it very hard at the moment. I have found that Citalopram seems to make me more anxious in the morning and very tearful and I知 wondering if any one else has experienced this. The doctor has given me other medications to keep me clam whilst these take effect but I really don稚 want to take them as they are addictive.

Yesterday has been my best day yet but today isn稚 going so well I felt so relaxed and was able to not pace the floor and relax and watch TV. I don稚 know if this is just side effects as I wasn稚 that bad before starting them I could relax and watch TV but was struggling with coping with the kids etc with the attacks.

I keep looking at the clock and thinking when will it be time for bed as I believe the 2 week mark is when you start to feel the benefit of this drug. I have found my self also to be more tearful and just have outbursts for no reason at all has anyone else had this? Also has anyone had the beneifit of this drug before the landmark 2 weeks?

Robert

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

I was on citalopram for nealry 8 years and they did help me a lot. It was about a month before I really felt the benefit of them, and for the first few weeks they did heighten my anxiety before they helped it. Stick with it and you will start to feel better.

Take care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi Robert,

I was put on Citalopram about five years ago. They really turned my life around. The side effects were terrible when starting it but they did calm down after a while. I noticed you said that the doctor has given you some calming medication to help whilst starting the Citalopram. Im assuming that's Vallium, which can be addictive in large doses but I think 2mg is just a drop in the ocean. I used to take it when I got really edgy. Some advice i'd like to offer you though is that when you do decide to withdraw from the medication then do it very slowly. It got to a stage where the Citalopram really helped me and I thought I was fine and stopped them abruptly. BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE I THINK. I tried going back on it again but it never had the same effect as the first time.

Good Luck

Hi ,

Thanks for your posts it does help just to know other people have been helped with them. But i'm sure anyone who has been on them will know that 2 weeks seems like a lifeline. I have been on other stuff about four years ago so you think i should remember it does get better.

Robert

Another thing I forgot to ask when do people normally return to a normal life etc work and that because I do want to go back to work. My partner is so worried about money and stuff as we owe out a lot of money so I do realise I have responsibilities and want to help. I wondering if it is good to set yourself goals and if two weeks since starting the meds is realistic as I have never had anything other than prozac before.

Hi Robert,

The best thing to do is to take things a day at a time, dont try to rush things with the meds, and just return to work once you feel you are able too.

Stay positive and you will get there.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi Robert

I tried taking these tablets a few weeks ago but became so obssessed with side effects that I have to give up, I then change to Cipralex and again became too obssessed with the effects that I couldnt continue, You have done well so far so try and stick with it as many people say after a few weeks the results are very good

If at anytime you are struggling feel free to send me a message - Hope your soon feeling better

Wendy x

I know the main problem I知 facing is the side effects as they seem to get a bit worse each day even although the good parts seem to come bad but the bad is still out waying the good. I hopeful that given a few weeks from now everything will be stable I just don稚 know of it is the panic attacks or depression as a result of panic attacks.

Robert

Welcome aboard.

The side effects should go within 2-3 weeks, so hang in there.

Nicola

Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum.

Ive been on Citalopram for quite a while now, with view to actually she says fingers crossed later this year. Anyway i do'nt remember having any side affects when i started taking them, but if i forget to take one then i know about it & feel abit sick, but other than that i have found them to be pretty good.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information