Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe Our Culture is partially to blame?

Maybe Our Culture is partially to blame?

Hi, maybe this is me overthinking but dont you think that English Scociety might create an evironment that might induce anxiety.

For a start capitalisam means there is always a pressure to work more, longer and harder. Things are needed to be perfectr and Now Now Now to compeate and be effiecnient. Vertualy all our employment is in the Service Industry. Its an unhealthy focus on money

There is little to be porud of at the moment, nothing actually usefull is made, we have no industry and no money of our own.

People tend to live in the past and always have a feeling that things cant be done, yet other contries have a more "can do" and "get up and go" attitudue.

The "Stiff upper lip" attitude, means socieal interatction is inhibited and not open, people ignore other people talking on the bus and I know I for one get realy up tight when a stranger starts talking to me for no realson in somware like a waiting room. It also means people dont complain much for things to improve, just moan about things so sothing gets done and nothing gets improved.

In shool I was always told that the harder you work and the better grades you get the better job yourl get the more money youl urn and the less effort you have to put in. - Now ive "grown up" I see its just not that way. I cant do what I want to do with my life becasue too manny of us have been deluded that we can do the same. As a relult Arts and Entertaimenment Law and other desierable carrea parths are over saturated and thease people have no back up plan - people are lost with no ware to turn to no inspireation and no aspireation.

There also seems to be a culture of fear anger and shame promoted by the media. I dont think there are genuily more bad people in the world, its just that nioce things dont sell papers etc.

Heavy drinking society (people vomiting in the streets etc) also dosnt help.

I know this is a bit of a ramble but needed to share it.
    please reply if you agree or wish to coment or have arguments for/againts
    or even potential solutions/ways in wich the individual can cope with it whould be much apretiated.

Re: Maybe Our Culture is partially to blame?

Know where you are coming from. Look back a few generations and people had their problems but is a big 'Keep up with the Jones' attitude nowadays.

Know where you are coming from.

I do think that modernization (the capitalistic attitude,faster pace, and even technological advances) have added to the increase in anxiety over the years but I also believe it's due to our changes in sleep habits, our eating habits, and even pollution has caused some of our issues.
    Before electricity humans got up with the sun and went to bed when it set. Now there are whole generations of insomniacs who stay up all night and don't get the rest their bodies need.
    We used to eat fresh foods, whole foods! Now nearly everything we consume has preservatives of some sort! Filled with chemicals that are doing God knows what to our bodies!!!
    I truly believe these changes in environment are also contributing to our anxiety issues!
    xxx
    Sandy
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

I blame where I come from and culture for my problems,living through the iran and Iraq war 20years ago,I have suffered from anxiety and post traumatic stress.I lost a lot of my family and friends.I am now living in Australia now and I love it, the freedom here you do not have in Iran.
    Petra

thats exactly the reason im trying to move to the netherlands x

thanks every one, glad im not alone in this

Well said FizznFiddles no where you are coming from spot on x

I think modern developed societies in general increase these problems. Some countries or parts of them will be worse than others. I get the impression Australia, for example, is much more laid back and with closer and more open communities in many areas than England.

We're too far removed from natural communities, and nature in general. People who live in primitive areas of the world and are in tune with their natural environment don't suffer from panic attacks, depression, and all sorts of other things!

On the one hand, sometimes external things can have an effect on people, if we let them. On the other hand, everyone is capable of coping with pretty much anything. The worst thing about the times that we're living in is the fact that everything is so quick and convenient, things are made too easy, and people aren't raised to be tough. It's a contributing "cause", but it's no excuse. I'm glad that I have an issue with anxiety, I love knowing that it is the flipside of a major strength that I have, and I appreciate the challenge, and once it's over, not only will I be ok, but I'll be stronger than the average person. Does anyone else feel that underneath it all they're actually a really strong person experiencing a really weird and interesting challenge, as if someone somewhere has devised a lesson plan to get us to become what we were meant to be? God bless my panic. I'll miss it when it's gone. What a great lesson. We're very lucky, not everyone gets to go to this tough school. And instead of a grade at the end, you get massive self esteem and confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by eight days a week View Post
    I think modern developed societies in general increase these problems. Some countries or parts of them will be worse than others. I get the impression Australia, for example, is much more laid back and with closer and more open communities in many areas than England.

We're too far removed from natural communities, and nature in general. People who live in primitive areas of the world and are in tune with their natural environment don't suffer from panic attacks, depression, and all sorts of other things!
    Are you referring to Australia being primitive?,I have been in different 3rd world countries and witnessed people suffering from all of the above,but unfortunately they do not have the resourses to mental health as we do in our countries.
    Petra

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information