Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will CBT help me?

Re: Will CBT help me?

In any successful therapy, you need to pick one problem and eliminate it before moving onto the next. CBT has helped me to narrow things down from an impossible morass of problems, to a small number of specific issues, which in turn allowed us to find out what is really causing these specific issues.

When you are targeting one area, you must make a conscious decision to put your other problems on the back burner. So if you have health anxiety, social anxiety and a debilitating fear of flying, you would have to choose ONE of those problems and work at it until it's either eliminated or manageable. You would pick the one that's having the most immediate impact on your life. (In this example, a fear of flying would be related to health anxiety, since health anxiety is the fear of death and so is fear of flying. That illustrates how coping with one problem can remove others.)

This is why CBT can take so long. You don't cure GAD or health anxiety in three sessions.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Glad you liked it

Excellent advice PsychoPoet. I think in today's fast moving world we are so obsessed with wanting everything right now that we get in the way of our own progress. CBT and the TEA form exercise allowed me to have some success which has led to even more successes than I ever imagined possible for me

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    Excellent advice PsychoPoet. I think in today's fast moving world we are so obsessed with wanting everything right now that we get in the way of our own progress. CBT and the TEA form exercise allowed me to have some success which has led to even more successes than I ever imagined possible for me
    I could not agree more and happy to hear you are doing so well davew

Thanks and I hope you are doing well too

I'm doing really well Dave thank you. So nice of you to be worried about me!

I sincerely hope all continues to go well for you

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information