Thread: insomnia is killing me

insomnia is killing me

i've been trying to start living in my own flat. first i was nervous about everythng, then started getting used to some things, then to some more things.. finally, i started feeling a bit normal and relaxed, but one thing is not good at al - sleeping. im awake almost whole night every night. im on klonopin already, but its not helping, i even double the dose when im desperate before sleep, but no difference, im wide awake until the dawn.
    im exhausted, i tremble from tiredness, my eyes are sore, but i just cant make myself to fall asleep. thats driving me nuts. never had such problems, at least not so radical. i cant work, i cant function, my days are in haze...
    im really rethinking this decision and thinking of moving back to mums. went to her place for few nights after i felt like im going to die from being tired, and i fell asleep the moment i touched the bed and slept for whole 12 hours. now im back on square one.
    the worst thing is that i feel sort of ok here, getting used to living alone and i almost like it. but, insomnia is unbearable. it ruins everything.
    and every supplement i thought of taking, cant be mixed with klonopin:(
    tried everything natural, homeopathy, milk, tea, eating, not eating, turning lights on, turning lights off, reading, even internet... nothing... i feel i could fall asleep, i close my eyes, im wide awake the next moment. still tired, still on the edge....

this is soooo frustrating.

Re: insomnia is killing me

Are you scared of falling asleep alone? Are there any thoughts going through your head when you try to sleep?
    On a purely physical level you could try turning bedtime into a relaxing time rather than a stress fest.
    Make the bed with clean sheets,Prepare yourself a light supper that you can leave in the fridge, then have a bath with lavender scented oils, wrap yourself up in a really soft dressing gown or nightgown and grab the food you prepared and sit down to your dinner and a movie. Then head off to bed. Dont focus on sleeping just lie there and enjoy the softness of the bed and the covers. Maybe put some lavender oil on a tissue and have it on the bed as this will help relax you. Just make sure you dont focus on trying to sleep, just focus on relaxing.
    Another method would be to listen to a relaxation tape on a CD player or mp3 player if you have one. Ive heard a lot of people can fall asleep using the sleep mp3 from this site.
    http://www.andrewjohnson.co.uk/Hypnosis-MP3-Store.html
    I use the relax (free) one and Ive found i brilliant, so I can guess that the sleep one is just as good. Its only £1.79 on itunes app store, so a bargain in my opinion!
    OR
    you could ask your mum to come and spend a few nights with you and see if that helps.
    I do hope something Ive said will help you to fall asleep.

Last edited by BritTutor; 15-08-10 at 01:32.

I agree with Vixxy. I suffered badly from Insomnia till I bought a relaxation tape. I also use Bach flower night time drops.

Under most circumstances its pretty normal to feel anxious moving onto our first place alone. Don't want to get too technical, but its called separation anxiety. The degrees of anxiety (normal to a degree) often depends on early separations and how they were or in fact were not dealt with.

For example, if Mum was sick and in hospital for a month when someone is very small, it could in some cases set up a separation anxiety when any later separations take place. Divorced parents, bereavement of family member or even a teacher in early years can heighten the anxiety.

If you think this applies to you, therapy might help with this, your first move away from Mum

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information