Thread: Lorazepam (Ativan)

Lorazepam (Ativan)

Has anyone else ever taken Ativan. I have been on it since April daily, but a very low dose. I am currently taking .5mg in the morning and .25mg at noon. I did taper off of it once a few weeks ago, but my NP wanted me to stay on it until I gained my weight back. (I had lost about 20 pounds because of the anxiety/panic disorder). I have gained about 5 pounds back now. I am told by the psychiatrist and my NP that this is a very low dose and I should have no withdrawal/rebound when I do end up tapering off of it again. But I am scared. Has anybody been on this for this long? I want to trust what the doctors are saying. I never could handle the SSRI's, that 's why I am on the ativan for now.

Re: Lorazepam (Ativan)

Hi Jo, I took this many years ago and had problems with it because they left me on it for so long..almost 2 years, so i had problems coming off it too. I don't think it so much the size of the dose as the time you are on it, and the docs these days are well aware of that. These benzos (tranquilisers) are excellent in small doses and for no longer than a few months. That way there shouldnt be a problem giving them up when the time comes.

Anna xx

Post Re: Lorazepam (Ativan)

Hi Jo,

I was on Ativan (Lorazepam) for over 25years...Then because my Bipolar suddenly became much worse, I was admitted to Psychiatric hospital for over eight months.

It was here that I had to go 'cold turkey' for three weeks until the drugs were out of my system. I was taking 1mg, three times daily, but due to my addiction, I started to buy Ativan from the Internet. God only knows why I did this, because nobody knows what ingredients these pills really have...so PLEASE ensure that any member reading this post heeds my words...DO NOT buy any medication, unless it has been prescribed by a genuine physician etc.

Sorry, Jo, I digress, although I had the most horrendous withdrawal symptoms which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, I am now completely clean from this drug...yet Ativan if taken in a small dose, and for a short time, this medication can work wonders. Indeed, when I first came to be introduced to this medication, it was hailed as a 'miracle' prescription to well being...
    Honey, you will be fine coming off this...you have the right support behind you, so there is nothing to fear...I wish you good luck!

As for me, I'm still doing my best to conquer depression, panic, GAD and social anxiety phobia...but with help from my medical team, family, friends, and members here, I'm sure I'll reach my goals in the end...

Take care,

Sue x

Re: Lorazepam (Ativan)

Thank you for your replies. I have tapered off of it once a few weeks ago, and it wasn't too bad. I am on less than 1 mg a day (.75mg total), so guess my psychiatrist knows what she is talking about when she says I shouldn't have too much trouble.

Thread Information