Thread: Moving house causing anxiety relapse?

Moving house causing anxiety relapse?

Hi everyone

In a couple of days I will be moving into my very own flat/apartment. Very exciting stuff. For the last 5 years since uni I have lived with housemates, and this will be my first experience 'going it alone'; not that I will be alone all the time though - I have a long-term girlfriend who stays almost every night. Thing is, she's away until mid-September but will come back for the odd weekend before then.

This leads me to my issue.

A couple of years back I beat a bad anxiety bout and had been going fine since June 2009. Now, my generalised anxiety is back and making me feel awful! The only thing I can attribute this to is the apprehension I feel in moving into my own place. I think if I knew my GF would be there every night I'd feel much better (after September she will be) so maybe it's the nights alone I fear - but I don't want to fear them! There are quite a few other people in the building I'm moving into, and I have friends who live in the area, so what's the problem?!

I know I should have nothing to fear and be really excited, and I am, it's just I think these nagging worries are bringing on a serious anixety bout at a really bad time!

Any tips or advice on how to deal with this would be great!

Re: Moving house causing anxiety relapse?

You're right, you do have nothing to fear but anxiety is illogical isn't it?

Maybe you could start making plans for the nights you will be alone? Friends round to watch films, a bit of decorating, reading or just stuff that you like to do. Once you're in there, it might feel a bit lonely for a week but after that you'll be loving your own space and getting to walk around in your underwear.

Just try to relax and look at the positives. I know its not easy to do and its a big step but I assure you its one you will enjoy. Your girlfriend will be back in no time and you'll probably miss having a bit of time alone

You're right Emz, thank you.

My mind is all over the map at the moment and I can see I was being illogical. Then again, I'll probably feel that way again in 5 minutes! Such is the nature of this bloomin' affliction!

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by tbs152 View Post
    You're right Emz, thank you.

My mind is all over the map at the moment and I can see I was being illogical. Then again, I'll probably feel that way again in 5 minutes! Such is the nature of this bloomin' affliction!

All the best
    We all know what that is like

Just try and get through it by thinking "I was alright 5 minutes ago and I'm going to be alright again in 5 minutes. Just have to get through this 5 minutes"

Thread Information