Thread: Fluoxetine/Prozac

Fluoxetine/Prozac

Hi all,

I posted this not so long back: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...946#post672946 and since then have been to see my GP, who of course has refered me to somebody else. In the meantime though he has put me on Fluoxetine.

I've been taking them for about 9 days now, and Monday was a good day, but since Tuesday, the obsessive/intrusive thoughts have got worse... its horrible.

Today, I woke up feeling shattered with a really bad headache...

Is this normal for this drug? x

Re: Fluoxetine/Prozac

I had a bad head ache for 2 weeks im not sure if its the meds or lack of caffine because ive stopped drinking tea and coffee.
    But im still getting intrusive thoughts too and ive taken them for nearly 3 weeks but im having more good dats than bad at the moment.
    So hopefully yours will settle down soon too.

Fluoxetine is a very good drug for ocd, but it takes about 6-8 weeks for it to start taking noticable effect. The first couple of weeks can cause some symptoms like headaches and worse intrusive thoughts, just because your body is adjusting to the change and anxiety about being on a new medication can cause increased intrusive thoughts. It's normal for your symptoms to worsen before they start to improve on any medication like this. If they're still getting worse in a few days give your doctor a call because it might just be that it's at the worng dose for you

Also make sure you drink a lot fo water because it can cause some dehydration which can give you headaches.

I was put on Fluoxetine and then zisaprin only to stop taking them as they were giving me what I can only describe as "buzzy" head felt all washed out thts when I went back to doctors to be given mirtazipine 15mg then 30mg and now on 45mg to be taken at night but I'm finding myself when mood swing coming on is to take a 15 or a 30mg in between only been on 45mg a few weeks but the mood swings are still there any suggestions on my next course of action advice gladly accepted
    Stu

Please tell me. Are Prozac good for OCD then? Really struggling.

Catya - I was put on Flueoxetine but it made me really manic, I was 100 times worse and felt terrible. I spoke to the doctor after two weeks and she changed me to Sertraline - this made me very depressed.

I dont have OCD (maybe a little) but have panic attacks/anxiety. Before taking the meds I could go outside but once I took the meds I felt agoraphobic and never left the house.

I have decided to do this without meds now (booked CBT) and already after quitting for 3 days I am feeling like me - well me with problems lol

Meds weren't for me - however I know they can work for others and it does take time. Doctors say between 2-4 weeks, however I know they can take a little longer. They do make you worse before they make you better.

Hang in there if you feel that the end result will work for you.

Good luck x

Ive done 3 weeks with fluoxetine and the thoughts and feeling i am getting feel worse than what i was like before i was put on these meds. Due at the docs on tues but i suspect ill be told to give them a chance

Thanks for the replies folks.

I stuck at the meds, about a month and half now. The thoughts dont seem to be as often but are still very scary when they do come.

I had an assessment with a CBT Therapist - has anybody any experience with this treatment?

Thread Information