Thread: Two new tips:

Two new tips:

Although I like to think I am "on the mend", I still have odd moments of anxiety/panic.

Here are two new tips I have discovered for myself recently:

1) I can't remember where the quote came from (possibly "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy"?) but one of the characters said, "flying is easy - you just throw yourself at the ground, and miss!"

Well I find it's a bit like that with panic. When I encounter a tricky situation, a split second before I have feelings of panic/palpitations, etc, I sort of "brace myself" mentally for the event which is going to trigger some sort of reaction. I feel somehow, that by preparing myself mentally, I am getting ready for the stressful situation.

Here's my tip - DONT BRACE YOURSELF! - mentally or physically! The "bracing" process seems to be what triggers the F or F response which causes the panic. By stopping this process, and "going with the flow" of the stressful situation, palpitations, and feelings of panic just don't happen!

2) I have also found that by facing up to a situation which I know causes me panic, I lose my fear of that situation.

But here's the bonus, every little victory over a panic "trigger situation" also makes me feel stronger and more confident in other, unrelated situations!

Re: Two new tips:

Post removed by author
    Last edited by cymraig_chris; 24-07-11 at 13:15.

Thread Information