Thread: 20mg to 40mg dose

20mg to 40mg dose

Soooo I have been on 20mg of citalopram for the last 6 weeks, but felt like it wasn't really doing much for me. Had a really bad headache for the first few days of taking it, but no other side effects, and the headache was bearable. Anyway, as I felt that it wasn't doing much for me, my doctor decided to put me on zispin, 30mg, and I didn't do well with that AT ALL, had really, really bad side effects. So I've now been told to take 20mg of citalopram again for about a week and then up it to 40mg, but I'm just wondering if this'll be 2 big a jump, and if I should maybe try 30mg for a while first? Also, would I experience any side effects in jumping from 20mg to 30mg, or from 20mg to 40mg, etc? Thanks!!

Re: 20mg to 40mg dose

Hi Emma
    I started on 20mg of citalopram last November and after 3 months I felt that it was not doing much for me because I still felt so anxious and in a panic so my Dr increased it to 40mg, which he said was the best dosage for anxiety. I have now been on 40mg since about February and I feel so much better. For the first week I had a bit of a spaced out feeling but nothing like the bad side effects I had when I started on the 20mg. Now I am fine, I still have the very occasional blip, but don't we all...!!! My Dr gives me 2mg of diazepam to take if I have a 'blip' but I don't often have to take them.
    Give it a go and see how you feel, I know a lot of people on here go from 20mg to 30mg first of all, and then progress from there but my Dr said to take a 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening and I feel really good now.
    I wish you all the very best and let us know how you get on with the increase.
    Jannie x x

Hi Emma,

I went from 20mg to 40mg straight away and i wish i had gone to 30mg now because i am off to see the GP tomorrow to see if i can lower my dose to 30mg i think 40mg is a little too strong for me.

But we are all different so what doesnt work for me may work for you.

Hope everything goes okay for you x

I am on the end of week 5 of 20mg (which I started on), started 40mg today. it had taken the extreme edge of my own experience of anxiety, but I felt pretty low and a bit dejected, which was an improvement on the state of anxiety I was in before but not exactly a good place. So I've increased today.

I feel a bit tired and fedup but that has been my experience for the past 5 weeks. I do feel a slight angst in my body, tension in my shoulders and but nothing too bad and I've got some diazepam in my bag if I need it.

I'm in same boat. Only on 20mg of cit for just over two weeks now but not had real chance to do its job well yet. I feel I need more but am one of the unfortunate ones who suffers bad from side effects. Don't see my GP for another two weeks but feel may need his opinion sooner.

I know sounds obvious but think the key is speaking to our GPs

Hey, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated Always good 2 know ur not alone! I did phone my gp, but unfortunately he is not the most helpful person in the world! I asked if once this week is up I should maybe try just 30mg for a while, then up it to 40, but he told me just 2 jump straight to 40 as he was sure I'd be fine. Hmmm, not convinced! Have 2 just take the 20 up until Monday, then go for either 30 or 40, still not sure what I'll do, but I do appreciate ur replies and opinions! xxx

I popped 40 mg this morning as I mentioned. Made no difference at all in terms of side effects. I had a couple of moments of feeling angsty during the day but I have had that anyway. And our company is sailing dangerously close to bankcrupcy at the moment, which is kind of stressful so I think its fairly normal to feel some angst, not sure I can blame that on the pills.

I have felt a bit sad this evening, again its difficult to tell if this is the pills or my situation, or a combination of the two.

But I don't feel ill. About to go to sleep so I can say in the morning if its affected my sleep although I did have a cheeky diazapam, so that may affect it.

Glasgow guy: I agree, get the advice of your GP.

I have had AD's sevearl times before and I have done my fair share of research. My doctors (although not the same one as before) has given me free reign to experiement with the dose under some guidelines of how to do it. But if it gets out of hand, I'll be straight in their office.

THe main thing is that these drugs do a very subtle job of balancing complex chemicals, they take time to settle in, so any shock changes are not good, things should be gradual. Especially if you're body is not responding well to the adjustment period.

I think my body has had so many mood altering chemical pass through it over the years its given up the resistance.

Thread Information