Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming off Seroxat after 10 years

Coming off Seroxat after 10 years

After 10 years on seroxat, the last 2 years on 10mg I have finally decided to come off. 6 months ago they just seemed to have stopped working, I understand that when they stop working they can go against you. I am on 9mg for the last week and have not felt to bad until I woke this morning and the room was spinning, dizziness got better through the morning but feeling a bit agitated. Anyone else been on them long term and now tapering off?

Hi markrut

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Re: Coming off Seroxat after 10 years

Hi, well i am just in the process but only started this week. Am going through bit of a blip at moment so went back to drs this week. Am being weaned off seroxat so taking my usual dose but 10mg Citralopam along with it. I too felt Seroxat just wasnt helping me anymore.
    Will let you know how i get on x

Hi ive been on seroxat 10 years to,they really worked for me,but ive tried coming off them a few times with really bad withdrawels the last time i cut them down was january and ended up back depressed anxious and the full blown panic attacks!!.Am now back up to 20mg again..sorry dont want to put a dampner on things,all i would say is try and do it really really slowly with the help of a supportive doctor,because mine wasnt...told me i was imagining the withdrawel symptoms..
    good luck x

sorry me again dont think they work for me really anymore,but just cant come off them..

Hi Markrut

I've been taking 20mg SEROXAT for just over nine years now, about three years ago I tried to come off them, I went to see my doctor and he told me to start taking one pill every other day which I found out was the totally wrong thing to do as the side effect are horrible dizziness, sharp pains when I moved my eyes in strong light and my anxiety started to rise so I ended up just going back on them, I'm hoping to come off them in the future because I worry about the long term effects, I know now If I start to come off them to do it milligram by milligram I've now got to bite the bullet and get on with it but reading your post has give me hope that it can be done and I really hope it goes well for you mate

I think the same as Wendy and Ihateanxiety, I don't feel like they are really helping me anymore

Alan.
    Last edited by Alan Mack; 25-08-10 at 19:19.

i was on seroxat for years to come off them try reducing the dose even going as far as breaking the tablet in two then taking them every other day.i got shock feelings coming of them but after a few weeks they went.hope that helps

ditto,you can get liquid form too 2 take a really low dose.
    Ooch that electric shock feeling is quite normal when tapering.

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have been withdrwaing for 2 weeks now, I dropped from 10mg to 9.5mg after 3 days the dizziness started which has been bad and stomach cramps, no concentration what so ever. I spoke to Professor David Healy who is the leading expert in the UK for antidepressant withdrawal. He advised a very slow taper or a regime that by slowly tapering off seroxat and at the same time slowly taper onto Citalopram to help withdrawal symptons. Unfortunately I will still have seroxat withdrawal even by taking Citalopram.
    I went to my doctors and he suggested the following:
    Week 1 - 10mg Seroxat plus 2.5mg Escitalopram (less side effects than Citalopram)
    Week 2 - 10mg Seroxat plua 5mg Escitalopram
    Week 3 - 10mg Seroxat plus 7.5mg Escitalopram
    Week 4 - 10mg Seroxat plus 10mg Escitalopram
    Week 5 - 7.5mg Seroxat plus 10mg Es
    Week 6 - 5mg Seroxat plus 10mg Es
    Week 7 - 2.5mg Seroxat plus 10mg Es
    Week 9 - 0mg Seroxat plus 10mg Es

Take Escitalopram 10mg for further 3 weeks, then taper with Escitalopram liquid

I checked this out with to pharmacists because of the concern over Seretonin Syndrome, they both said that because of the low dosages they were not toxic.

Has anone else had a regime like this?

Hi I was on Seroxate 40mg for 13 years and came off them by taking Escitalpram 20mg under the supervision of a Psychiatrist, as i found the seroxate where no longer working for me, i just felt really nausea all the time but didnt really notice the withdrawals, I did try and reduce the Seroxate with no additional medication and couldnt manage it as the withdrawal side effects where to powerful and all the panics seemed to come back.

I am now back on the Seroxate as the Escitalopram was not helping me at all. I am back to square one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information