Thread: PANIC! Fear i am becoming a hypacondriac (Cancer fear)

PANIC! Fear i am becoming a hypacondriac (Cancer fear)

God help me, i am in a state of panic fear... I really don't know if i am overreacting and dont like to bother the doctor but how do you put your mind at rest? My neighbor and good freind has bowel cancer, she acted on the first sign of trouble (blood in stool) but even then it was to late and has been told its also in her liver and is terminal.. This has filled me with panic. For over 3 weeks now my left nipple has been very tender it doesnt help i keep touching/prodding it, i think i can feel a small lump behind the nipple, i know breast cancer is rare in men, and could be overreacting, but its not doing my anxiety any good. What would you do? DD

Re: PANIC! Fear i am becoming a hypacondriac (Cancer fear)

Hi Dan

I think that when someone close to you is diagnosed with a serious illness, it's perfectly natural for it to feel scary and be on your mind constantly, so I don't think that you are overreacting in that sense. Also, there is so much publicity these days about breast health awareness, that people are asking more questions.

If it were me in this situation, I'd probably speak to my GP. That way, you can have your mind put at rest. I'm sure that your doctor will be understanding and hope that everything goes well for you.

You're not a failure if you don't make it. You're a success because you tried.

Thanks, i am really having a bad day to day, my chest is tight my jaw is clenched and acheing as is my head, too much anxiety and worrie.. Thanks for the advice. DD

The anxiety is a sign you are not focussing on what you want, rather on what is going to go wrong in a given situation.

It could be very easy to look on-line at a bunch of symptoms for X, Y, Z and suddenly realise "my god .... I have X and Y ..... AND Z too" ....... but this seldom turns out to be the reality.... and it may well be that you are applying such logic to yourself, in light of your recent experience with your neighbour.

Fear and worry (anxiety) are interest paid on something that may never happen! By definition it is an emotion based around a future event - and in this case it is an event that you are 'inventing' all on your own with your mind playing tricks on you as to what MAY be going on.

Surely the first step to take is to realise that this is the case !

Secondly - what is the best way to address that specific anxiety ... ?? Well a start is to get checked out by the doctor who will hopefully tell you all is well, so allowing you to move past that old emotion and be comfortable with your health again, now.

You have the choice to NOT see the doctor, so NOT taking the relevant step to move past anxiety now ...... or choose an action that will support your peace of mind.

Which do you decide to choose - or have you already chosen ?!

Hey Nigel, thanks you are right i am anxious over a fear of what probably is nothing, but i would of probably chose not to see the doc but then i would still be anxious at maybe it is something. I guess none of us can be sure we are 100% okay, even doctors. But i guess people with anxiety want reasuring more, but were does it all stop? I really need to get these thoughts under control, but how do you decide whats worth worrying over and whats not? DD

Thread Information