Thread: Panic and Illness

Panic and Illness

Hi all, havn't been here in a while, thought i was doing really well. Anyway have been ill all week flu type virus, and as if that wasn't bad enough, the panic attacks are back- and this time they mean business. Feel so drained, not sure which are the 'real' symptoms of my illness, and which i am creating out of panicking. Don't know if i should be in bed resting, or up getting on with things. My husband and family are at their wits end with me, and i can't blame them. Is it common for panic to take over when you have a genuine 'physical' illness? Anyway, just looking for some reassurance really. Sorry for sounding so depressing, i am actually quite a fun person normally! honest!

All replies welcome, India xxx

india..
    It sounds like you are worried that your panic had ben brought on by your illness. It sounds more like maybe you are feeling anxiety because of your illness, and often panic can come from anxiety and then it goes in cycles: anxiety and panic and panic and anxiety and so on.
    And you don't need to say you are sorry for sounding depressing...we all have those feelings sometimes.
    I hope that you feel better.
    Do you see a counsellor or anyone?
    And as far as you say your family is at their wits end...I totally understand. My boyfriend (we live together common law), sometimes seems to feel like that with me. It is sometimes difficult for the people who we love, like our family, to fully understand those of us who have anxiety and/or panic. I have tried to educate him a bit about my disorder to help him understand...I know he tries.
    You sound like you are feeling very overwhelmed right now. Try to take some time to try to relax, and take things one step at a time.
    I really hope you do feel better!

Thanks blondeangel, your reply has helped. Yes i have started seeing a counsellor, was suppossed to see him today, but felt too ill! Seeing him in two weeks, so hopefully will be feeling more in control by then.

India xxx

Hi India,

Good luck for when you see your counsellor. It will really help.

I see my Counsellor this week to (Third time lucky) i needed to re arrange the original meet, then the 2nd time i had a cold, hopefully this time will go with out a hitch. lol

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

It is completely true that when we are really ill we have genuine symptoms that are similar to our anxiety ones eg temperature changes, faster heart beat, shortness of breath, mood swings.

Yes it is common to not to be able to distinguish between one and another sometimes.

Maybe rest a bit more than usual as well as trying to continue with gentle things in your daily life until this passes.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Totally agree with Meg.

Flu symptoms are very similar to panic attack symptoms.

Hi Indie,

Sorry to hear how you are feeling,
    Hope this link helps

Bad Flu lingering or a Blip?? help please.

Hope you are feeling better soon,

you take care.

LOVE JILLXX

Hi India

Welcome and hope we can help you xxx

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

india..
    I hope that you find your counsellor helpful, and often having a counsellor is just good to have someone listen to you, and clarify feelings that you have but are not aware of. Myself I am training to be a counsellor for children and youth, and in my course we have to take counselling skill courses where we counsel each other...and so from the point of a client and professional, it can be very helpful. Plus, I am not knew to being a client...I grew up with ADHD, and have PTSD (which has eased off over time), depression in the past, and Panic Disorder now. I think that is one of the reasons why I wanted to go into human services....because I wanted to help, and I have had my own issues.
    Anyways....I won't rample on about myself....I guess I just want you to know that you are SO not alone, and many here on this board understand where you are coming from.
    I hope you are feeling better! ////take care if yourself!

I find that when im ill with like a cough or generally feeling ill..the sort of coughing starts up the chocking sensation i get during an attack and i feel like i can't breath...so i have an attack.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxcrazy-long-legsxx

Thread Information