Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will it last??

How long will it last??

Hi everyone,
    i thought that i had this anxiety thing almost figured out and then i had a relapse, and when this happens i begin to feel depressed again and have to work my way out of it. I have been suffering for just over a year now, but by what i have read it seems to carry on for nearly 10 years and more.... this is a very alarming thought does that mean i have another 9 years?? sometimes the only good thing i can think about is that i wont always be like this! but i dont know if i could last like it forever!
    Iam on quiet a high dose of Citalopram and also recieve a form of CBT.

Well does anyone wonder the same thing as me or more importantly does anyone have the answer!!

Thanks 4 reading

JON

I think anxiety could even last a lifetime i have read about people who have had it for over 25 years, some people cope better than other's and some people will get over it quick and may never have it again, i suppose it depends on what you are doing to try and get rid of it. i have had it for the past 2 years.

to answer your question...
    I think that it is different for eveyone...and having a "relapse "is not uncommon. Some of us have it for a brief time period, some have it in episodes, and others long term. But whatever it may be, we can ALL try to find ways of coping and dealing with our anxiety and/or panic. I beleive that having support is probably the most important....however that may be. I am lucky to have a boyfriend who tries to be supportive, and my family. Also, I have found this board, which I am thankful to have found for support, and for receiving and giving advice.
    I just recently relapsed into panic attacks...and urgh it was not pleasant...but I have to accept that it happened..but I will fight to get rid of it..I did it before, so I can do it again.
    I think mind over matter is a big part of it, and I will never give up hope of having a med free and panic free life....forever.

Jon, firstly welcome to the site.

Please don't fall into the time trap. There is no specific length of time. If you educate yourself on the condition and it's mechanisms as much as possible and use the help of others you can turn it around relatively quickly.
    Don't watch the calendar. It will just prolong the condition. Watching the clock puts pressure on you and causes you to become agitated as deadlines you set for yourself keep passing. Agitation from this alone would be enough to keep the condition alive.

Try and just get back to doing what you normally do and do it despite of how you feel. If you feel dizzy, pains, etc then just try and ignore them as much as possible and go steadily on.

The panic attacks rely alot on your fear of them for their very survival. Constantly thinking "is it over now?" "will it come back?" is enough to keep your system primed and ready to throw in a panic attack at the slightest provocation.

If you have never read Claire Weekes "Selh Help For Your Nerves" then I would strongly suggest you get hold of a copy. It's a bit olf fashioned in it's writing style but the content is spot on and forms the basis of many "modern" approaches in my opinion.

The other thing to look at is what your triggers are. We all arrive here via different paths and you may or may not have things that are causing attacks and can be easily removed.

BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T WATCH THE CLOCK AND DON'T THINK YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT FOR MANY YEARS ------ YOU DON'T!!

All the best,
    Trev

Here, here Trev! I was mortified when I found this site at the amount of people who have suffered for years & years. I just thought it was something temporary I was suffering from & would disappear once my life evened out so to speak, but it turns out its hanging in there longer than I expected. I do agree with not falling into the time trap & trying to ignore it by busying yourself. It does the trick for me the mind over matter way. There's nothing I like better than trampling a box of cornflakes into the carpet so I can hoover them up to take my mind off my panic lol!! The things we have to do to overcome our PA's! We do learn to cope better with time & I'm gonna have to get this book that everyone keeps going on about!

Take care everyone, Les

Hey!!
    these guys are all right and when I was first diagnosed I thought it was going to be like flu- afew tablets and rest and there you go!! a bit silly but I was only 16!!! I dont think about getting better anymore I think about what I have and can achieve!!! i am an agrophobic learning to drive- now if thats not an achievement I dont know what is!!! try and think about things you have done to beat this illness no matter how small they are- coz if you can master the little things without panicin your bound to be able to face the big ones one day!!
    reading this I dont actually know if it makes sense!! hope it does!!!
    Ammegxx

Yeah thanks alot guys, they r definatley some promising words! and well done on learning to drive! hope u pass!

Hi Jon
    I am 32 and have suffered with panic attacks for 10years, I am however I feel starting to get over it with the help of this site
    I dont think time is anything for you to worry about, if shows by you been here you are facing it and dealing with it, I hid away from my syptoms for a long time which i think is why im a long term sufferer! Wish I had found this support years ago!
    Stick with it and you will beat it!
    Wendyx

Hi Jon,

I have suffered from panic attacks and depression for I would say seven years but have been fine for around the last 4-5 years and I mean fine absolutely no problems but I also had a relapse last week and I’m on Citalopram now. I don’t know how you have found them but I have found them hard to get used to but I think it is meant to pass with time etc.

If you read to much in to and how long etc you will drive yourself mental, every person is different so one person could have it for 1 year another 10 years it is about how you deal with it. I have tried lots of things hypnotherapy it all helps but I do know the route cause and I’m talking it now. The depression thing is hard that I know as I have cried non stop all week bar the last three days but it will get easier. You shouldn’t feel that if you have a relapse that it is a set back just look at as a test. I tend to look at like you have lost a job and you just need to get another one.

I can honestly say you can go on to lead a successful happy life I have and I’m sure money others have. Remember life is about the decisions you make and your mind body reacts to what you want it to. We all have bad days I have had a really crap day today but if you think oh well tomorrow will be better and so on and so on it does get easier.

Well best of luck mate and relax don’t make your life a ticking clock it is worth more than that.

I have had this illness for a while, but I have learned so much and I have tended to look on it as just part of the journey that I am on - learning to accept that this is how I am at this moment and trying not to give myself too much of a hard time. As each year passes, rather than think about what I have not been able to do, I look back my daily diaries and remember all the fantastic achievements that I have actually made. Living with anxiety, panic attacks and having been agoraphobic for many years, makes you focus on what is important in life and to cherish each moment. When panic rears it ugly head, just let it pass and watch it disappear and lose its power. CBT will help greatly towards changing your negative thoughts as will correct breathing and the best piece of advice I can give is - just let it happen - dont add frightening thoughts - give it no power and it WILL pass.

I hope you will find comfort in all the great success stories on this site as they are quite inspirational and we are all unique so try not to compare your progress with someone else.

Take care for now

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information