Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Medicine

Chinese Medicine

I recently was walking through Birmingham city centre and noticed in the window of a chinese herbalist/doctors that they treated panic attacks which i have had during boxing training I thought why not give it a try i've heard these chinese remedies are quite good but 2 weeks later and minus about £300 i have to say in 'my opinion' what a waste of time and a lot of money. The treatment consisted of a tea, some pills and 6 sessions of massage and acupuncture which i found uncomfortable and painfull. When i asked the doctor (through a translator) how the treatment was helping panic attacks he told me that my problem was pyscological, that if i train too hard the treatment won't work and a lot of other exuses of that nature. Has anyone else tryed chinese acupunture etc is it supposed to hurt and has it worked for anyone else.

A surrogate Dad of mine was a acupuncturist in DC and he treated advanced cancers, local infections, AIDS etc with a huge amount of success.

When I discussed my panics with him he said he could balance out the vital elements in my body , which may help, but the solution was in my head .

I went over to look after him when he was dying and he had his colleague treat me for the first 2 nights, after the second treatment he told me that I was balanced from his point of view and the rest was up to me.

How right he was.

It took a while to understand what I had to do though.

I guess it's a bit like ensuring the kid has attended lessons and been encouraged and resources provided, but the results are theirs alone .

No it should not hurt apart from very slight scratches from the needles .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hiya Gaza448,

I am sorry to hear your experience with the Chinese herbalist was`nt productive.

I have never had an experience with one, but have heard things about them good and bad.

How are you doing otherwise? How are your PA`s now? I hope you are doing well.

Post to let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Hi Diana i'm not doing to bad missing my dad a lot i had a fight a couple of weeks ago but i think it was a bit too soon so i didn't fight to well for example when i'm at the boxing shows i always used to phone my dad to tell him which personalities were there at the last one, two weeks ago, before i boxed i saw someone picked up my phone and started to dial before i realised dad wasn't going to be there. I nearly had a panic attack in a training session two days before the fight, first time felt like that since october didn't do my confidence any good but I new it wouldn't be easy (also had a redbull before not a good idea)

Gary

Hi Gary

Herbal medication may interact with prescribed medicines, altering the way they work, reducing their effectiveness, or rendering them toxic. This is certainly true for St Johns Wort, "Nature's antidepressant".
    £300 does seem a little excessive! You won't pay that for prescriptions from your doctor would you? You would tell him to stick it.

The problem with herbal remedies is that you either have to do a lot of research about the product (uses, cautions, contraindications, effective brands...) or put your trust in an "expert", and hope they make the right choice of treatment for you.

I think the common school of thought is treat your insomnia with valerian, but get a doctor to treat your colon cancer.
    As far as I know Long Gu (Dragon Bones)are used in herbal tea, pills and drops to produce a sedative effect. - Just how this works I have no idea!

Try some of the more traditional floral remedies they may be more effective, I know several people who have had more success with floral remedies rather than chinese medication. Not to mention the fact they are much cheaper and available everywhere.

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Hey Gary,

Good to hear that you are doing "pretty good". I know it is hard to get over that loss, but you are coping well.

Keep pushing forward, keep at your boxing. It will atleast keep your mind and body busy .

The "Red BUll" may not be such a good idea in the future!!!!! LOL....... :-).

If you don`t mind my asking, where do you box Gary? I actually love boxing. It is the only sport I will watch on the tele. Never been to a "live" boxing match though. Would be fun though I bet :-D.

You take care of yourself and keep up the great coping with the loss of your dad.

I wish you the best of luck on your future fights and training sessions.

Diana xxxxxxx

Gary

Well done for trying to carry on with some normality.

I lost my dad over four years ago, and my gran who was also my best friend a year ago next month.

I don't want to be depressing or anything, but in my experience, it takes years for the grief to come out. I felt totally numb at first, and now little bits of grief are being released, and I get upset for a bit, deal with it, and pull myself together. Then another "snippet" of grief appears, and I do the whole cycle again.

I've started going to the gym, and if I were you I'd ignore the chinese herbalist - and keep exercising/training. I feel better for training.

It might be an idea to keep up with the training, but just to spar in the gym for a bit. Sometimes you can push yourself too much, and too far.

Don't dismiss alternative therapies because of your experience with the Chinese herbalist. Valerian and St Johns Wort are both very good, as is 5-HTP. Go to a recommended health shop or herbalist, and ask advice. Just be careful that you aren't going to take anything that will get you into trouble if you decide to carry on competing.

The chinese medicine man was right though - most of our issues are caused by psychological problems, and it's good to talk. Have you considered seeing your doctor about what help is available in the area?

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Hiya Charlie,

I agree too that it takes years to get all of the grief out. If in fact we ever do get it all out.

My gran who was also like my mum passed on 4 years ago this past January. I always get "SNIPPETS" like you say and deal with them. Get over it for the time being and again for some reason I`ll get it again. My "SNIPPETS" seem to last for 2-3 days sometimes.

Grief is very hard to overcome I agree.

You mention "ST.JOHNS WORT". What exactly is it good for, how long and how much would a person need to take on a daily basis to get relief? I know this is a multi question, I am sorry. I have heard alot about St. Johns Wort, but am not very educated on what it covers. Are there RX meds that you can not take whilst using it? How long would one have to be taking it on a regular basis to notice a difference? Are there any OTC meds that one would not be able to take with it? Is there any period of time limits to taking it on a regular basis?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I was taking Prozac, but have stopped taking it over a month ago, but am in need of something for feeling low, crying easily etc. etc. etc. Does the St. Johns Wort help or interfere at all with anxiety/panic?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am interested in something "natural" I can take to get over the blues LOL...... :-D.

Take care all,

Diana xxxxx

P.S. Charlie, I also believe in "what does`nt kill us, makes us stronger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana,

The site that I have used for information on St John's Wort is www.sjwinfo.org, which I found very informative.

Kate x

Thank you Kate for the website. I am surely going to check it out.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information