Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those that twitch & tingle and worry about ALS

Re: For those that twitch & tingle and worry about ALS

Quote Originally Posted by jonarotz View Post
    I am so grateful that I have found this post through a google search!
    Like many others I have had some symptoms pop up, mainly some speech slurring/mispronouncing and some heavy arm twitching in both arms. The speech has been effected for roughly 6 months and the twitching has been about 1.5 months.

I made the same mistake with a google search...ALS...5 year life expectancy...scary stuff.
    I immediately went to the doctor...blood test...all normal
    EMG...no nerve damage past or present, but show that indeed my muscles are wigging out at rest.
    MRI...pretty normal, some disk degeneration but nothing that would effect my twitches or speech.

I will admit all of my symptoms have worsened since reading all the ALS information. I do notice though that my twitching and speech issues are definitely more evident in high stress conditions.

I suppose with all of my tests coming back normal that I am in the clear as far as ALS goes, but I still can't get it out of my head. This post has been the most reassuring thing I have found thus far, so thank you!
    Does anyone else notice your speech issues though?

Yes my wife notices it when I'm stressed, otherwise not really.

Since all this has happened and I've been really stressed about it a couple of others have noticed as well. But I over think it to much and make things worse.

Your mind can really get away from you and effect everything when you're stressed. It seems like I over think everything from swollowing to my hand strength.

Quote Originally Posted by jonarotz View Post
    Yes my wife notices it when I'm stressed, otherwise not really.

Since all this has happened and I've been really stressed about it a couple of others have noticed as well. But I over think it to much and make things worse.

Your mind can really get away from you and effect everything when you're stressed. It seems like I over think everything from swollowing to my hand strength.
    I have the same issue. Slurring/mispronouncing words when I speak. What did your neuro say?

Well I have an appointment next week where he is going to re examine me and hopefully he will be able to diagnosis me at that time.
    I've already been assessed by him, had the blood work, EMG And MRI done.
    Are you experiencing muscle spasms as well?

Muscle twitches, not spasms. They don't worry me so much

Gotcha...mine are pretty much non stop and kind of a weird rolling pattern. I've had the annoying eyelid twitch a and such in the past but they have gone away rather quickly. So that along with the speech really scared me. Both get more noticeable with stress and anxiety.

Is yours pretty consistent? Or does your symptoms get worse/better with stress levels?

Hard to say. I'm always stressed

I was worried for almost 3 months now, I mean really worried, not being able to eat worried. it started in early June where my calves felt weird, almost numb or "heavy" & the bottom of my feet felt tingling. I went to my GP, did blood work which came back normal and she did not think It was serious but sent me to a neurologist. She sent me for a MRI of the brain and lumbar. all normal! The neurologist said nothing to worry about. Now I have added (painless) muscle spasms mostly in my calves but do show up all over from time to time and mild cramping in my calves to the list. Then like most of you I goggled my symptoms and ALS came up all over the place! Total panic attack and melt down. My GP AND the Neurologist both said they don't think it's anything serious but you read the stories about the poor people with ALS and it's impossible not to worry. My GP put me on anxiety meds that are helping me so I don't have panic attacks about it, (This is new for me, never worried this bad before). anyways, I wanted to thank you because in one of my worrisome moments I goggled again (I know I should not!) but this time I found your post! Thank you for the reassurance! Reassurance is just what I needed and I can't believe how my symptoms are almost exactly like you explained in your post. I am asking the Neurologist about BFS. This gives me a better outlook for sure!
    Last edited by TracyA70; 30-08-18 at 19:21.

TracyA70, right there with you. I’ve been experiencing very similar symptoms over the past month, but none of it started until some panic attacks I had a couple months back. I’m in the process of seeing my PCP right now, I’ve got another appointment in two weeks. I’m praying it’s nothing serious, but I’m still going to ask for a neuro referral. Just wanted you to know, you’re not alone! Hoping everything works out for you! Keep in touch!

Good luck at the doctors! It's so worrisome not knowing or understanding what's going on with your body. Hang in there!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information