Thread: Pvcs and holter moniter results... help please

Pvcs and holter moniter results... help please

I have had panic attacks for 14 years now. About 2 years ago I had a terrrible afternoon where I had thumping and skipping in my chest. Dr did EKG, caught the PVCS and just told me not to worry. They went away a few hours later, back to one once in awhile which was normal for me.
    Well In June I was hospitalised for Cellulitis in my lower leg, was in for 5 days and took antibiotics for almost 2 months. During that time i was dehydrated and taking potassium pills from the fever.

Many other stresses involved as well during this time.... August 6th i was in bed and they started up out of the blue. I was too freaked out to sleep, so i stayed awake until I couldn't stay awake any longer. I figured the would be gone by morning. I was wrong. I saw my Dr. who listened to my heart with a stethescope and said it sounded normal to him, of course it decided to behave for a few minutes. He didn't think an EKG would catch it. He did bloodwork for thyroid, electrolyte, magnesium, potassium, kidney. Then I pushed for a Holter Moniter because he said two years ago that if they were bothersome he would do one. Bloodwork came back good.
    The day I wore the Holter, I tried to do everything I normally would, towards the end of the day a few of the leads sticker things started coming off and I had to tape them down. Found out that the machine affected my telephone. Everytime I used it it died. then about an hour before i was to get it taken off, i got a phone call and it shut the machine off somehow. Sorry to get off track.
    That day I had an appointment with my Dr. He hadn't had a chance to look over the paperwork from the holter so he looked while I sat there. He said the leads slipping and the phone wouldn't mess with the results, that he could tell the difference. Is this true?
    Also he said my heart beats a little fast, though it was quite a busy day and I was on the go. He said not to worry about that, just to cut out salt, eat healthier and try to lose weight and exercise. I caught a glimpse at the paper and it said I had around 7000 pvcs out of 133,000 beats. It also said they were all isolated. I asked him if that was safe and he said yes, that they were most likely benign and that they were all isolated, no multiples.

For a few days after that they seemed to lessen in severity but it has been since august 6th and i still get them every day. they are ruling my life. When I move around or concentrate hard on something either they go away or i dont notice them, but after eating or laying down to sleep they are awful. They are running my life, and I am only 30. I have a 7 year old that needs me. Can a Family Dr read results from a holter and be able to tell if they are benign? Should they go on for this many days? Some days I dont have many and others a lot! Please help, I have no one to talk to and I didn't think they would last for over 3 weeks. Help!! Thanks

I don't know if this is important but he feels it is all the stress I have been dealing with long term, bottled up seeping out.... not sure if that is relevant... ty for taking the time to read!

Re: Pvcs and holter moniter results... help please

First of all I feel for you because I too suffer from these nuisance palpitations. You think they've gone and then all of a sudden they start up again! Any doctor should be able to take a reading from a holter monitor. Holter monitor reading are facts about what your heart is doing and are relied on greatly to diagnose problems. It definitely sounds as though your heart is normal. I had 6000 beats on mine and was told that it was still normal. It seems to me that this is nothing but a totally unpleasant symptom of anxiety/stress and that your body picks up that you're stressed and this is how it INSTANTLY reacts. After having spells of none at all I've been having them for hours on end at work the last few days and they wear me out. I think it's important that you carry on as normal though, and don't let them stop you doing anything. Hopefully one day they will disappear completelyas I no longer fear them. Please don't despair, because there are lots of people here who know how you feel. They'll calm down again when you do. You're not alone.

Thread Information