Thread: Acid Reflux

Unhappy Acid Reflux

Posting couple of weeks ago someone said i could have acid reflux i didn't think much of it but now taking it abit more serious..

i have alot of heartburn...

certain foods i can't eat and will be sick

horrible chest pains... in which i had togo to er one night as i thought i was having a heart attack... had a ecg everything was fine nothing abnormal at all..

i was just wondering if anyone has acid reflux and could tell me abit more etc..

Thank you

Re: Acid Reflux

Yep, I too have acid reflux periodically and it sucks big time.

It is basically when the acid in the stomach rises up the oesophagus (food pipe) and irritates the lining of the oesophagus causing a multitude of symptoms depending on the severity, like nausea, stomach/chest pain (often with a burning sensation) a feeling of a lump in the throat, difficulty in swallowing/ eating and belching to name but a few! Heartburn is really a symptom of acid reflux and it can be so debilitating.

I've had another bout of acid reflux this week after the onset of my panic attacks again (stress creates more acid in the stomach) which hasn't helped with trying to combat them as I have been getting so het up with the left side chest pain and belching that I have had, as well as a bubbly, fluttery feeling in the middle of my chest. Thankfully, it has now calmed down with meds.

I always start off with Gaviscon liquid and then if I get no joy from that the best thing I find ALWAYS knocks it on the head is Omeperazole which you can now (Thank God) buy over the counter. It calms all the symptoms down by reducing the production of acid. BRILL! You can also buy Ranitidine over the counter which does the same thing as Omeperazole, but personally I prefer the latter.

I feel for you as it is horrible, but thankfully it is generally quite easy to get a grip on.

All the best. xxx

Thank you for your reply! i will have to deff get some gaviscon liquid i tried the tablets but didnt work!

do you ever get pain in your arms?

its the chest pain i am suffering with its horrible..

i keep stressing its a heart attack but ive had a ecg and they said my heart was perfct

Hi!

You are very welcome! Yes indeed, I had that during my recent bout...pain in the top of my left arm and shoulder blade, and I have to say,that freaked me a bit as I too thought it may be heart related, but logically I had to go back to acid reflux as I was belching like mad!

Also, I'm a nurse (albeit childrens!) and my understanding is that heart pain starts more centrally and then grips heavily/crushingly around the chest so that reassured me a bit too, plus I find that each burp does relieve it so putting these things together it makes sense.

I totally know what you mean about the pain, as it can really feel worrying but please try to put this from your mind about the heart, particularly as your ECG came back ok.

Also, I tried the Gav tabs first and like you I found them crappy. I like the liquid personally as not only does it really help, but it feels very soothing to swallow somehow, as if it is getting straight to the point where you need it.

Again though, I highly recommend Omeperazole!

Good luck! xx

I am so greatful for your post!
    Its really nice to talk to someone who has been there done that sort of thing...

As i don't know much about acid reflux at all! dud you go to the docs to get diagnosed??

the burping is horrible i sometimes have to make myself burp!

i will deff get some liquid gav!

im glad you know what i mean about the pain it is on my shoulder to sometimes also under my left rib bottom part horrid really!

Thank you so much xxx

No problem at all....yes, that is exactly where I get pain too, just around the area under and over my left side ribs/breast area. It is so debilitating!...and the burping drives me nuts too, but thanks goodness for it as it is better out than in as it does relieve the pain.

Initially, I didn't go to the docs as I was pretty sure it was acid reflux as my initial symptoms were of feeling the acid rise up and burning inside and the lumpy throat, along with burping, so I self medicated with all the meds I mentioned, however on another occasion the symptoms just would not calm down despite all the over the counter stuff so I DID see my GP who confirmed my suspicions and prescribed me a high dose of omeperazole which I could only have got on prescription and that did the trick.

I forgot to mention before that certain foods can trigger reflux such as spicy foods and lots of caffeine drinks so just be wary of overdoing those too!

Please don't suffer with this if you get no joy from the Gaviscon and I recommend just popping to your GP. I just tend to do a bit of DIY healthcare as I'm a stubborn old nurse, lol!

xxx
    Last edited by debs71; 03-09-10 at 01:16.

yeah i will for sure try the liquid and then pop down to the gp!

I am trying badly to take care of my health i have quite caffiene and smoking its been nearly a year cold turkey ... im just very over weight so thats what i need to control but i have lost a stone so far! but there is nothing wrong with being a stubborn nurse!!!!

really have helped me thank you so much
    xxx

Anytime hun.

That's just great..and congrats on your weight loss!

Good luck.xxx

Thread Information