Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are my periods too heavy or normal?

Are my periods too heavy or normal?

Im abit of a worrier about bleeding since I had a D&C operation to remove a pregnancy that didn't take 9 months ago. I suffered heavy periods after so i went on the pill, but last month my gp and i decided to take me off it as I was having frequent headaches and bad anxiety.

It has been a year since I had my regular periods and i cant remember them really, but they were never really light.

Im anxious because everytime i stand up, within a few minutes I feel a small gush of blood (huge improvement from what I had after the op), then when i go check its like slightly thick blood slowly glooping from me onto my pad (sorry), which marks the centre of the pad. Is this just normal? Im on day 2 of my period.

Ive been trying to rest up abit today as have some cramps, i bleed abit when sitting/lying on sofa, it just seems worse when standing. Uf im mobile for a while it's not too bad.

Is this classed as normal or heavy? Because im resting up alot I dont know if id soak a pad every half hour, or would sitting not make a difference if my bleeding was that bad?

My mum and sister say they were/are the same, if not worse, but ive this horrid phobia of bleeding to death and scared i could have pekvic inflammatory disease causing it to be heavy.

I just wish I could remember if this is just normal for me. Can anyone give me some words of wisdom?:-(

Re: Are my periods too heavy or normal?

i don't know if this is much help but i think the 2nd day is always a bit heavier and also
    when you go off the pill it causes absolute chaos...!! i went off myself 4 months ago and haven't had a period yet... still waiting.
    and this is the second time i have been off the pill and i also just never got my period.
    it sounds like you were always prone to heavy periods.. maybe this is just the chaos being caused on your body by the change.

are you feeling ok.. other then normal period feelings? try and relax thats the most important and monitor it.
    i'm sure you are fine.. going on and off the pill does very odd things.
    xx

Hey Larna,

Sorry to hear this is worrying you a bit. I've had worries myself tonight so I know how you're feeling!

If it makes you feel better I can feel it come out more when I'm standing compared to sitting. It's an icky feeling isn't it?!

I do take the pill now though, so they aren't as heavy as they have been. It's hard to remember what they were like before I was on the pill because I've been on it for almost as long as I've had my period because it was sooooo irregular. I do remember it being very heavy in the months that I stopped taking the pill due to medication interference however.

Also, I know a friend who gets terrible cramps and realllllly heavy periods to the point that she takes days off uni and work at a time and wears heavy night pads during the day.

Yes i feel ok, just achy and abit anxious.

I saw my gp last week as id had bad abdominal cramps, had 2 thorough checks and was told it was ibs related, i also had a full blood count done at the end of July which was normal.

Thanks.

Don't worry this is normal. I suffered from heavy periods and it would soak through the pad and my clothes. My bed used to be soaking in the morning and that was with me using a tampon and a night time towel. So don't worry even with really really heavy ones your body copes with them.

Carol x

Thanks Aimee,

I had my gp check me recently and he said i had no reason to worry about pid etc... I also had bloods tested in July.

I had an ultrasound of my repoductive system last yr, again all ok.

My gp says i wont haemorrage having a period, but i always panic since the op:((

Quote Originally Posted by caz1960 View Post
    Don't worry this is normal. I suffered from heavy periods and it would soak through the pad and my clothes. My bed used to be soaking in the morning and that was with me using a tampon and a night time towel. So don't worry even with really really heavy ones your body copes with them.

Carol x
    Gosh, they were that bad? I dont soak the bed, just my pad over night. Then during the day i change my pad every time i get a gush, not coz it soaks through, but coz it is quite thick fluid so sits all in the centre of the pad, so feels yuk to keep on.

Im really worried though since the op, i dont cope with my periods very well:(( i feel silly coz im 31 with 3 children, i never let them scare me before.

Thanks Caz xx

Forgot to ask caz, was it always heavy the whole week? Did you gp seem concerned? Or do tests?

Thanks

Just stood up and had lots pouring out. Slowly pouring like a piece of gooey string, was purple??:((( it eventually stopped and i tidied myself up, but its everytime i stand today. Terrified im haemorraging or something:((( im lying down alot, but am scared to walk around incase it is gushing away:(((

Hubby says im fine and its normal and ive beeb worse, so he says i should calm down. Feel daft:(

I am 27 with 2 kids.

I soak completely soak a super tampon every 45 min to 1 hr during the first 2 days. I was scared too but every month is was the same and i am still fine and never needed to go to the doctor for that. Your is heavy but not very heavy, other people are worse and yet still considered normal. If you feel lightheaded or you completely soak more than 2 thick pads in one hour then you need to see the doctor. take iron pills during your heavy days. it helps!

Heavy periods can be a sign of low estrogen, check with your doctor. Nothing serious, hormones change after having kids. Mine's low and i'm taking an estrogen cream.
    "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
    - - -
    If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you'll die a lot of times. ~Dean Smith
    - - -
    Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. ~Leo Buscaglia

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information