Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hodophobia

ive been going there since i was 6 but we stopped going to greece a few years ago, so instead we go to majorca, better then greece ill admit

nicole,
    I appreciate your suggestion. I have not planned a trip by myself bt i did stay in a hotel with my girlfriend for a weekend. the hotel was about 1 1/2 hours away that was a couple of weeks ago, I think that one day when i finally get some time i just might take your suggestion and vacate. My goal for now is to be able to travel and feel comfortable 5 hours away and that for rite now me might as well be on the moon! but hey i gotta try.

anyone!,
    hey i was wondering if cognitive behavoral thearapy (cbt) would do me any good? ive read all about it on this sight?
    I have taken a psycology course in college and i am familiar with some of its procedures,
    has anyone here been through it? does it really help? can you discribe it in detail?

CBT is great, and is basically one of the main recognised ways to challenge and overcome your fears.

Most of us panickers are doing or have done it. It is a proven scientific method of overcoming problems.

Very simplitically, you will discuss the areas that bother you with your counsellor. You will then grade them in order of a bit frightening, quite frightening and totally s**t your pants.

You then have to get really brave and do it, starting with the easiest thing first. You keep repeating the easy thing, till it stops bothering you. You then move on to the next easiest, and repeat. You have to keep going back and experiencing the things you started with.

Basically, you are retraining your brain that going to the cinema/out for a meal etc isn't scary, and that it won't result in a panic/anxiety attack.

You will also learn breathing and other coping techniques. It is hard work, you have to push yourself and progress is slow. However, it has lasting, lifelong effects, and teaches you how to cope, so if at some point in the future, you have any recurring symptoms, you have the life skills to cope.

As Bryan would say - little steps, but thats really the key. Small bite sizes retraining until your brain learns to behave itself!!!!!

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

lottie ,
    Thanx for the discription

today after work i drove for 2 hours just for the heck of it and i was fine the hole trip laste 4 hours.
    I think i can beat this damn thing!

So, dcaroon, In a very short time you are already half way to your moon !!
    I can see you will be getting there very soon

When is the concert ?

Well done for all your efforts.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

well done you !

I know how hard driving can be so good on you.

Can you now do the trip do you think?

Nicola

radar,
    thanx, I am trying to reach the moon , maybe one day the stars!
    P.s
    to all those out thier who havent read the topic, Im not an astronaut im just a little bit scared compelety to death to go any wher.
    any advice? anyone?

I had a bit of a bad experience driving last night. i was driving for about 25mins and there was only the baby and me in the car. it was very dark and raining and some of the roads were quiet roads with no lighting. I was very close to a panic but luckily I never panicked but was very anxious. I put the radi on full blast and somehow made it !!

I was nervous about going back home the same route but didn't want to go off course in case I got lost! - Anyway it wasn't so bad as I was able to use my full beam headlights alot of the way as the traffic was quiet.

I was shaky when i got home but glad it didn't tun into fully fledged panic.

As far as tips go I don't know - turning the radio up full and singing my wee heart out worked for me!!!

Lucky

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information