Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hodophobia

Yes - but your poor deaf baby!

Dcaroon

You have my every sympathy. I'm desparately trying to pluck up the courage to travel the 60+ miles to Manchester to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the summer.

At the minute I'm failing miserably, and I don't want to go on my own, but can't think of anybody who I really want to go with (or who will be available - best friend just had small ankle biter - and I'm not spending all night in the creche)

Its only 1 1/2 - 2 hours away, watch the gig, then drive home. But I don't think I can do it!

How pathetic, you have further to travel

Let me know how you go on

Best of luck

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

what was that you were saying Charlie? - speak up woman!!!

Charlie

Alex loves RHCP so he will take you - lol

Nicola

charlie,
    when you go driving off far away from home, What do you think about that causes axiety?
    I am worried for some reason that i will panic and cant get help.
    I dont understand it really.
    When your out do you think about getting back home as soon as possible?
    I know i sure do.
    well best of luck, RHCP rocks!

dcaroon - I was more worried about the embarrassment of being alone and panicking and people seeing that. I was also scared of being so far away from home and no-one to help me.

I do want to get home asap and away from the situation.

Hope you can conquer your driving fears.

Nicola

Nicole ,
    I was thinking about something.
    When ever I leave to go on some kind of trip (rare occasion)I am almost constantly thinking about home. When am i going to get back?,how far away am I?,how long will it take to get from here to thier?.
    It seems to me that home is sort of my safety zone and I dont know why because I hate it here. I use to love to travel;I still love to think about going to places. Then theres the fear factor.
    So maybe if I was to displace the thought of home with the thought of some how being able to cope with panic were ever I am. Then I wont be so tempted to avoid the situation.
    Who knows maybe ill help .

If anyones got some ideas dont hesitate to let me know
    thanx everyone

Dcaroon

What I can do on certain trips out is transfer my safety zone between places - i.e. I make work a safety place so I can drive there and feel ok.

Sometimes I just drive away from home and want to get back, but I am learning to conquer that. I like to be near home so I can get back quickly if I need to.

You need to conquer the panic as you say and then the travelling won't be an issue.

It is hard work for my partner cos he wants to go abroad and there are a lot of problems in that for me - getting there on a plane, getting a coach from the airport to the resort and being away from home.

I am practising driving for now till it feels like second nature and it seems to be working - so I will see what I can do next.

Good luck to you.

Nicola

nicole,
    transfering safety zones is a good idea, Ive been doing that for quite some time now but in a different way. you see I am ok with being an hour or an hour1/2 away from home.So if Ihaveto be 3 hours away I comfort myself by saying "Its ok your only an hour and a half awy from being an hour and a half away". I know it seems silly but it kinda works.
    The problem is that its only a temporary solution. Im not conquering anything really , its just an allusion.

I guess that makes you wonder, Everytime you panic and thiers nothing to panic about, is that not an allusion?
    I suppose it is. So is it a good idea to fight one allusion with another?

Its quite wierd

I don't mind the travelling i.e. I'm a confident driver and enjoy a "blast round", it's the "chilling out" when I get there. I'm always thinking about getting back home!

I also worry about "letting people down" - I prefer to travel on my own, then if I have to wimp out (which I never do) then I can just turn round and come home. I feel really under pressure if there are other people in the car with me. And as for letting somebody else drive.

Also, I worry that if I get wound up I will make myself ill (I get an upset tummy when I'm anxious) and I worry that a. I won't be able to find a loo, and b. it's just embarassing if you have to keep going to the loo,

None of these are real problems, but in my mind. None of them has ever happened - i.e. I have never been "caught short" on a journey, or embarassed myself, or turned round and gone home when others have been in the car.

But in my head, these are real and genuine things that are very likely to happen!

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Yeah, thats a good point ; I like traveling alone but not if I have to go really far.
    I guess now that i think of it I have never had to turn around on any journey, Ive allways made it and somewhat enjoyed myself.
    Its still scares the crap out of me though!
    oh well you gottah deal with the hand youve been delt I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information