Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsessing over breathing?

Exclamation Obsessing over breathing?

I'm not sure if this is what I'm doing but recently I can't seem to distract myself away from my breathing, it used to happen from time to time but for the past week it's been almost constant.
    I feel like I need to remember to breathe, I focused on it so much that it's not automatic any more and I have to consciously remember to breathe.
    Sleeping has been hard because as I'm trying I feel like I've stopped breathing, which is probably because I've took control over my breathing or something, I'm not sure.

When I do get to sleep I wake up like 2 hours later and it begins again.
    At first I thought I had a problem with breathing full stop, like my body had forgotten how to breathe but if it's fine when I finally do get to sleep I'm guessing that's not the case, obviously my body remembers to breathe when I'm sleeping.

I can't take my mind off it, when I take my mind off it I feel like I stop breathing, when I take my mind off it it's only a matter of seconds before I'm thinking "Take a breath".
    It's not that I'm gaspiing for air, it's not hyperventilating, it's more of the opposite, like I'm not needing any air because I'm not thinking to do so and unless I do think then it's scaring me that I'll stop :\

Does anybody else have this?
    I can't distract myself, sometimes I can nip it before it gets too much by doing something like playing a game but it's not long before I'm back to thiinking about it.
    Telling myself not to think about something is just going to make me think about it.

It's horrible and I'm really feeling limited because I'm constantly thinking about it, finding it hard to focus and hard to have a conversation, hard to enjoy watching television and the last thing I want to do is breathing exercises as I'm not hyperventilating and my breathing is the thing I'm already focused on!

Argh, I think I'm going crazy.
    My doctor prescribed me sertreline 2 weeks ago for my anxiety but I took one and that night I felt like death (not sure if it was side effects + plus my anxiety + plus the panic about the side effects coming) which I know is for OCD aswell so now I'm thinking maybe there's a good reason to try it again but I can't see how I'd be able to survive having this AND horrible side effects.

Help, does anybody else have this?
    Anybody know what I can do to stop it?
    x

Re: Obsessing over breathing?

YES...ME!!!! Hun, i get this aaaaall the time.. It becomes so frusrtating becasue there are times that i cannot stop thinking about breathing.
    Its like i have to remind myself to breathe and worry that if i dont, then i'll forget!
    It can go on for hours sometimes, and then my breathing just feels really unnatural and i need to take really deep breaths because it seems like im not getting enough oxygen.
    Once you've gotten into that 'mechaical breathing' stage its hard to divert your attention else where.. but try doing something that will take your mind off of it, try reading or watching a really intersting film.. if you're like me it will take your mind off of it for a short while but then you'll start to try and control your breathing but, Just remember breathing is an invoulantry process, (unless we try to control it ourselves) so if you relax and stop focusing on your breathing, your body will do it for you, and it wont forget!!
    It will feel strange at first not having to concentrate on each breath u take, but after a while you will forget about it and you will still be breathing - only you wont be having to spend all that time focusing on it! xx

It's horrible isn't it!
    Sometimes I'm thankful for it though (as horrible and scary as it is) because I forget about all the other things I feel and they seem to go away.
    ://// Distraction is the hardest thing for me, especially when trying to go to sleep because there's nothing to do except let your mind wander onto breathing etc :|
    I've bought some herbal sleep aids, gonna take one tonight and see if they help me sleep and stop me having the time to worry.

Post Re: Obsessing over breathing?

MidnightCalm; Hey there mate, stumbled across your post today, through Google actually. I happen to be having the same problem as you did sometime ago. I copped it the month before, no clue on earth why. Wanted to ask how you were coping these days man? You feeling heaps better, over the whole breathing thing or does the darn thing resurfes? Hope this doesn't set it back up again it's just I'm looking for answers that's all bro. Hope you're well and stay well. Look forward to hearing back...

---------- Post added at 04:40 ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 ----------

Lou 1; Hey Hun... I stumbled on a thread you were in over Google, regarding Breathing. It directed me to this site. So I made an account to find some answers myself :( Hun, I'm now suffering what you did and the other lad you were trying to help on here. Mine started about a month ago and have no idea how I got fixated with Breathing, I stress over it just how you both did. just wondering dear how are you doing with it all now? Do you just think back and say gosh why was I been so irrational with my anxiety or does this sorta thing still play your mind from time to time? Sorry if I'm bringing it back up for you hope I don't start doing your head in with this again, it's just... I need some answers from fellow others too :( God bless bub hope to hear back whenever you can xoxoxo

Quote Originally Posted by takingCARE View Post
    MidnightCalm; Hey there mate, stumbled across your post today, through Google actually. I happen to be having the same problem as you did sometime ago. I copped it the month before, no clue on earth why. Wanted to ask how you were coping these days man? You feeling heaps better, over the whole breathing thing or does the darn thing resurfes? Hope this doesn't set it back up again it's just I'm looking for answers that's all bro. Hope you're well and stay well. Look forward to hearing back...

---------- Post added at 04:40 ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 ----------

Lou 1; Hey Hun... I stumbled on a thread you were in over Google, regarding Breathing. It directed me to this site. So I made an account to find some answers myself :( Hun, I'm now suffering what you did and the other lad you were trying to help on here. Mine started about a month ago and have no idea how I got fixated with Breathing, I stress over it just how you both did. just wondering dear how are you doing with it all now? Do you just think back and say gosh why was I been so irrational with my anxiety or does this sorta thing still play your mind from time to time? Sorry if I'm bringing it back up for you hope I don't start doing your head in with this again, it's just... I need some answers from fellow others too :( God bless bub hope to hear back whenever you can xoxoxo

OMG!! a recent post. i've been searching through the internet and all posts regarding this horrible breathing thing are from like years ago!! it's so comforting to see one from a few days ago!!

mate i'm going through exactly the same thing. constantly focusing on breathing. it's a living hell... i don't feel like i can enjoy anything because i know i'll be thinking about f*cking breathing. it's bizarre because it's an involuntary thing isn't it but omg it's ahrd to stop thinking about it. i've had it for about 2 and a half months now... i've seen people say theyve had it for eyars and years and i cannot bear the thought of this.. i will beat it!! about 2 weeks ago i managed to go for an hour (yes an HOUR) without thinking about it and it felt amazing but then i was like 'oh i havn't thought about breathing in an hour' and it starts all over again. it makes me feel so unreal.

i'm adamant its just a symptom of anxiety so i'm working on removing my anxiety then hopefully this will go with it. remember you are not alone.. take care man.

midnight calm believe it or not i was about to post the exact same problem especially the night time breathing issues. each time i start to drop off i jolt myself awake to ensure i keep breathing. at best i get between 3 and 4 hours sleep and feel pretty crap most days. i can't see an end to this particular issue. feel reassured that at least you're not alone.

dan1991; I've had a short while since those posts to relax and bro trust me I have, a fair bit at the very least. You're right dude, it's all anxiety, that's what I have come to the conclusion of as well. Who knows how any of us got fixated on it, the mind is just an incredible and sensitive thing. We are human after all. Try not to worry man. Just think happy thoughts. And just know that we breath as a natural way of living, there is no off switch. It's something we can do without even realizing man, once we realize and we let that along with so many other things get to us that's when we all TRIP OUT and think irrational thoughts, which too, is from the anxiety man. Chin up bro, just live life to the fullest and keep yourself always active, it's what I'll always attempt doing.

i try to stay positive all the time and keep active, but when i see no results its very upsetting and distressing. plus i get panic attacks on the top of it... it's so much fun not. i suppose when i stop looking for results they will creep in without me realising. or at least i hope.

Hi i have this too..especially when im going through an anxious period..feels like im really aware of my breathing and that in itself panics me..horrible :-( blooming anxiety hey!

yups it's all just anxiety at it's finest guys, trust me it's always a phase, a phase that can come here and there whenever or just a phase that people get over real quickly, can happen to people with ADHD like me or severe OCD people. Need not worry... we'll always be okay that's all you's gotta know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information