Thread: advice needed

advice needed

hi my 17 year old son has a fear of needles and i am at my wits end.it all started a while back when he came with me when i was having a blood test and he fainted.the next occasion was when he was having a mri scan he had to have some liquid injected to show up on the mri and again he fainted.then on another occasion he had to have blood tests and he fainted and then had a fit.well today we went to the hospital and they wanted to do blood tests to rule out arthritist and he went mad ,all his body tensed up and his skin went bright red and he got so angry and he told the doctor no way and walked out.it took me about an hour to calm him down but i am finding it hard to talk to him,all he has said is there is no way he is having a huge needle pushed up his veins.i would really appreciate it if any one can give me some advice on what help i can get him.thanks

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: advice needed

Firstly, welcome to NMP.

It's very difficult dealing with such intense phobias. I would recommend that you first take him to his GP who should be able to refer him to see someone about this. I'm a bit concerned about him having a "fit" though. Does he suffer with seizures/epilepsy?

I wish I could be of more help but I really think he needs professional guidance to hopefully overcome this.

I wish you both all the best.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Re: advice needed

Yes I agree with Melancholia, your son sounds as though he needs professional guidance. An understanding doctor could make all the difference though, and help your son to cope with needles. I know where you're coming from because one of my sons has a needle phobia. He was hospitalised for a couple of weeks with pneumonia and had to get injections into his stomach each day, which he had to tolerate, but had a blood test done at the doctor's surgery last week and passed out!! Our gp let him lie on the couch for a while and the dentist used to have a glucose drink ready!! The fact that your son had a fit sounds as though he definitely needs some help. I feel for him, and you. He may not lose his fear of needles, ever, but I'm sure with some help he'll be able to overcome this to an extent. Let us know how you and he get on

Thread Information