Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help on coming off Citalopram please

help on coming off Citalopram please

Hi i would like to come off Citalopram after trying upping the dose from 20mg to 30mg which made my anxiety worse not better. Been back down to 20mg for two and half weeks now suffered bad side effects jumping around dose but think got over worst of them and been to see doc and she suggested a plan to take 20mg one day none the next for two weeks then take 20mg every three days for two weeks then stop.

Haven't taken one today for first time but now having second thoughts and maybe should keep on 20mg regular every day for longer before trying it.

Remember somebody on nmp saying this isn't the best way to come off and that it is advised to keep taking it regular but reduce dose very slowly??

I know i should just put some trust in the docs advice but as i am suffering from high anxiety and dp am terrified that i Will end up suffering YET more horrendous side effects as a result of doing it her way because won't the seratonin levels be up and down like a yo yo. Any advice appreciated.

Re: help on coming off Citalopram please

Having discussed this with my doctor a few years ago he advised the best way to come off was to lower the dose to 10mg for a few weeks then take one 10mg every other day and gradually spacing it out before stopping.

However, I would discuss your concerns with your GP.

(just to add I was on 20mg so reducing to 10mg was the first step for me)
    Last edited by JFlower; 10-09-10 at 13:33.

Hey Eric,

In my experience with citalopram...I would reduce slowly to 10mg before then reducing even further....we are all different and you might not suffer withdrawal but doing it that way will minimise them. I only ever came off it quickly 40mg-0mg in 1 week and it was horrendous...I had to do that as my GP wanted me to change to mirtazipine quickly. I would not reccommend doing that to anyone.

Hope that helps...at the end of the day its your decision, unfortunately GP's do not know as much as they should know about the meds.

Take care and good luck with coming off.

Jo.,xx

Quote Originally Posted by feduptohere View Post
    Thanks had a look at link. Said come off it over a four week period. Didn't see anything about how to do this.

Please, please listen to what your doctor tells you. We all care but are not professional and your doctor knows you best.
    I only took Cit for 4 days but stopping was best for me.

Smile Re: help on coming off Citalopram please

Quote Originally Posted by StressedEric View Post
    Hi i would like to come off Citalopram after trying upping the dose from 20mg to 30mg which made my anxiety worse not better. Been back down to 20mg for two and half weeks now suffered bad side effects jumping around dose but think got over worst of them and been to see doc and she suggested a plan to take 20mg one day none the next for two weeks then take 20mg every three days for two weeks then stop.

Haven't taken one today for first time but now having second thoughts and maybe should keep on 20mg regular every day for longer before trying it.

Remember somebody on nmp saying this isn't the best way to come off and that it is advised to keep taking it regular but reduce dose very slowly??

I know i should just put some trust in the docs advice but as i am suffering from high anxiety and dp am terrified that i Will end up suffering YET more horrendous side effects as a result of doing it her way because won't the seratonin levels be up and down like a yo yo. Any advice appreciated.
    I started on 60mg, I am now taking 10mg. My next step is 5mg in a few weeks, if you can reduce yourself very slowly over a period of time and talk to your doctor about your plans.

Most people who have suffered with side effects will tell you the same thing Eric .Cutting down very slowly will be better in regards to feeling the discontinuation effects .Ive cut down on my dose three times by reducing down by 5mg at a time .The side effects have been minimal .Its reccomended to wait until you have had 5days of stability before you cut down again .You can do it quicker but it isnt necessarily going to be easier .You will very often feel worse doing it that way .The odd one will disagree .See how you get on by cutting down by 5mg for a couple of weeks .Drs go by manuals .These only give a guidline .Most Gps dont give a damn how you are going to feel ,they treat everyone the same regardless .Fortunately mine is more caring and has more knowledge than most ,she also lets me decide what I want to do and how to do it .All the best Sue x

Unhappy Re: help on coming off Citalopram please

Been on 20mg cit every two days for over a week now. Been really struggling as last week got infection in leg which spread to foot and now got bad head cold so magnified the spaced out feeling. Infection lot better now but Emotions all over the shop and finding it hard to cope. Been feeling aggressive and bad tempered for no reason suddenly and other times just 'numb'. Can't think of anything positive anymore.
    Lost all sence of taste and smell. This prob caused by head cold though.Don't feel like doing anything. Getting panic attacks at nite as well now which wake me up and my dreams are v.weird and wake up in the last dream and even when up for a couple of hours still think i am in it. Anxiety ruling me all day doesn't matter what i do i constantly am on edge have tremors in arms and hands and periods of sweating. Worrying about every single symptom i got. Going round house like in own world. Keep thinking about losing mind completely and the old me is gone forever.

On 500mg flucloxacillin antibiotics because of the infection and have also started taking a to z vits after checking with pharmacy if ok. Really struggling with work even though only there for three days a week. some days feel like I'll never beat this as just feel every week getting worse and end up in hospital in the end.

Just after some virtual hugs and reassurance really to help me get thru this v.low point. :-( :-(

Maybe you should change to 10mg everyday for so long until stable and then 5mg etc.

This seems to help others form what i have read and it avoids the yo-yo effect.

hazelb is there a reason you only took cit for4 days
    was it a reaction

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information