Thread: does this sound normal???

does this sound normal???

recently discovered ive been holding my breath without realising.also holding tightness in my upper body,it would explain a lot of the aches and pains,how can this happen without me knowing???

Re: does this sound normal???

i sometimes find that when i think about my breathing i realise i haven't been breathing.

but breathing is an unconsious activity. you are not conscious of your heart beating most of the time; same as your breathing. I would guess you are like me and just suddenly noticing your breathing then thinking you haven't been doing.

tight chest/upper body is very common in anxiety. so many physiological symptoms/sensations can occur when we put our concentration on them. i went to A&E about my tight upperbody, i was convinced i was having a heart attack, it was just anxiety.

hope that helps?

thanks for that,ive been in a state of high anxiety for so long ....do you think it can become instinct(subconcious) to hold your breath,shallow breath,tighten muscles etc....???

Hi

My breathing is always all over the place, mainly I cant get my full breath properly...and when I do I am not satisfied, I just think about getting the next 'full breath' if that makes sense?

I do think that the more you concentrate on something, the worse the feelings/symptoms feel. I am yet to find a way to stop focusing on it all so much!

hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    Hi

My breathing is always all over the place, mainly I cant get my full breath properly...and when I do I am not satisfied, I just think about getting the next 'full breath' if that makes sense?
    So true!

i dont think it is instinct to hold your breath. we are always breathing we just dont realise it.
    we only notice short breaths when we try and take a deep breath and we cant. thinking about it now (i am trying to focus on breathing without getting worried!!) i think most breaths are these "short breaths", we only take deep ones when we exercise, try to calm down, or when we concentrate

i was just wondering if anxiety sufferers do this without even feeling anxious..ive been feeling ok,just these symptoms seem to be carrying on???

in my case i would say yes. we have a bias to concentrate on such symptoms i guess..even if we are generally feeling ok

Thread Information