Thread: Dentist- done!

Smile Dentist- done!

I know for most people, going to the dentist is nothing at all but for me, it has always been a no-no. Aside from a cancer phobia, which at any given time is under varying degrees of control (but always there nevertheless), I also have a terrible fear of going to the dentist. This particular aspect of my HA isn't cancer-based but is more down to embarrassment, fear of being berated for neglecting my teeth. I can pinpoint these feelings down to being 15 years old and being literally shouted at, in full hearing of everyone else in the surgery, by my dentist of the time because I had left a broken tooth, which was at the back and not painful, for six months before seeking treatment. He told me I was irresponsible, lazy and probably came from a bad family. I had never been spoken to like that in my life and was so ashamed and upset, especially about the family bit, that I didn't step inside a dental surgery for another 20 years, despite many times wanting to, either to stop pain or to face up to the fact I needed work done, sooner rather than later.

So two decades later, my teeth still cosmetically sound but definitely needing major attention, I see an ad in the local paper which said "non-judgemental dental treatment". Something about that sentence caught my imagination and the first feeling of "maybe, just maybe" crept into my head. I cut out the advert and carry it around with me for a couple of months, taking it out occasionally and looking at it- I must have memorised every word. What made me call up the number one day, I have no idea, but call it I did and the woman on the phone was just wonderful and I made an appointment there and then.

Of course I was in a right panic between making an appointment and actually going- I nearly cancelled half a dozen times. But somehow I kept my nerve and walking into that surgery and not walking out felt like one of the bravest things I have ever done. I can't really remember much else about the first visit, only that the dentist was utterly lovely and clearly no desire to judge or have a go at me but to help me. I had an exam and 2 x-rays and 5 minutes later we were discussing a (remarkably short, considering) course of treatment.

And now it is all done- 2 wisdom tooth extractions, 2 broken teeth extractions (both at back) and a few minor filling replacements. And another appointment for a check-up in six months time. My mouth feels fantastic without any jagged teeth in and no more pain from the wisdom teeth- I feel amazing. I never, ever thought I would have the work done, I can't believe it. Sorry for going on, I just had to share.

Re: Dentist- done!

WOW
    NO WONDER YOU ARE SO HAPPY AND LET ME BE THE FIRST TO SAY WELL DONE

Thank you so much. I am happy, even if my gums are a tad sore!

What to tackle next? Opticians, I think. Here we go again......

Congratulations Sarah, it is lovely to hear your success story.

I have done something similar recently, gone to a dental practice after not having seen a dentist for more than 10 years, my appointment is Monday coming.

I didn't have a bad experience with my previous dentist but missed a check up, then another one..before I knew it years had passed and I was too embarrassed to go back.

I am more than a little worried about what is going to happen on Monday and what is going to be said to me so reading your post is really encouraging.

Well done - I too had to combat my fears this year and visit the dentist. Luckily I found a fab dentist who is very understanding.
    The sense of achievement is amazing isn't it!!!!!

Ladybird64 - try not to worry for monday, explain your situation and I am sure they will be very understanding - Good Luck!!!

Well done, you should be really proud of yourself. I know a dentist and this kind of fear is so common. They are trained to deal with it and help, I'm so glad you went.

This kind of fear of admonishment from a dentist is apparently very common amongst people of my approximate age group. I cannot for one minute imagine a medical professional speaking to anyone nowadays the way that dentist spoke to me, and no doubt many others, without serious repercussions yet it wasn't uncommon in the 80's, I have read.

Echoes the others

So happy your mouth feels as *good* as it *deserves* to feel at last
    Really well done and grrr arggg at the despicable dentist of the *past!!!*

Ladybird, thinking of you aLSOx

Thread Information