Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to have a Colonoscopy - Fluffy stories please....

Re: Going to have a Colonoscopy - Fluffy stories please....

Oh I do agree than sooner than later is the sensible thing to do, but trouble is, if I have had a bad week leading up to 1 Oct, then I won't feel strong enough. If I have had a good week, then it will be a different kettle of fish. So annoying that I won't know how I will be, blasted anxiety attacks!

Just go with it I say. There is never a good time to get one done trust me lol.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Just go with it I say. There is never a good time to get one done trust me lol.
    lol No, I am sure there isn't a good time either.

Just will see how I feel nearer the time. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Hi there

There are 2 types of sigmoidoscopies - I have had both.

One is called rigid and one is flexible.

You need to find out if you are having a sigmoidoscopy or a colonoscopy as whilst the procedure is very similar the prep for them is very different.

Let us know when you find out and good luck
    Well, I got another letter today, and it says flexible sigmoidoscopy, not a colonoscopy. But they are still not 100%, so they are going to ring me back....great...

Edit - lovely lady rang me back, I am having a flexi. Phew, its a shorter procedure, made me feel better now! The prep stuff I have been sent is the same for either procedure.
    Last edited by heavenly; 15-09-10 at 14:13.

Ok well you can have that procedure without sedation if you want - I did and it was painful but bearable.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Heavenly, I had the same procedure some years ago, and tbh it wasnt anything to worry about - I didnt have any sedation, was just slight discomfort, but no pain, and was over pretty quikly.

Was more embaressed at having to wander around the hospital in a gown with my bum hanging out more than the actual procedure !

But... all my stomach problems and IBS were caused as a result of the anx - they checked all my stomach from the throat to the other end, and found nothing wrong or amiss - if they say the same to you, then tell your doc you think it is the anx causing the problems as IBS / cramps / bloating / the runs are all pretty common in people who suffer with anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia - particularly if your stomach is fine the rest of the time, then this could be the cause.

I also find staying away from spicy foods and having a fairly plain diet has helped to calm the effects of the anxiety on my stomach, although I still often get that crampy feeling / desperate for the loo thing when stressed.

Hope this reassures you a bit
    Mike

Daft question but im addicted to milk and drink upto 5 pints a day. Could that cause tummy cramps?
    Wishing you good luck

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mikewales View Post
    Hi Heavenly, I had the same procedure some years ago, and tbh it wasnt anything to worry about - I didnt have any sedation, was just slight discomfort, but no pain, and was over pretty quikly.

Was more embaressed at having to wander around the hospital in a gown with my bum hanging out more than the actual procedure !

But... all my stomach problems and IBS were caused as a result of the anx - they checked all my stomach from the throat to the other end, and found nothing wrong or amiss - if they say the same to you, then tell your doc you think it is the anx causing the problems as IBS / cramps / bloating / the runs are all pretty common in people who suffer with anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia - particularly if your stomach is fine the rest of the time, then this could be the cause.

I also find staying away from spicy foods and having a fairly plain diet has helped to calm the effects of the anxiety on my stomach, although I still often get that crampy feeling / desperate for the loo thing when stressed.

Hope this reassures you a bit
    Mike
    Thank you so much. Yes, I do think its the anxiety that causes me the tummy problems. I felt fine this morning, got to work and then had an anxious 15 mins as other half is staying in London overnight tonight and I started worrying about him not being around for a couple of days, started to feel dizzy, then stomach started playing up. I just wish I could control this anxiety, it just creeps up on me, and its so exhausting trying to control it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information