Thread: integestion and palps

integestion and palps

hi

does anybody get heart burn and integestion with palptations its seems to irritate the palps more.

lorraine

Re: integestion and palps

Yes Lorraine, this happens to me all the time. Palpitations make me burp constantly! I get relief for a short time then it all starts again. Palpitations are probably the worst symptom of anxiety I've every suffered I've got to say, and I been through the whole sh'bang

Hi there, I get palpatations every day, every 1-2mins. Getting heartburn most evenings now, so using bicarb for a good burp, and peptobismol when its bad. Youre not alone x

There is a proven connection between stomach irritation and heart irritation. Apparently its because of a large nerve called the vagus nerve...the longest in the body travelling from the base of the brain to the groin and it connects lots of organs including the stomach and the heart, so if you eat or drink anything that irritates your stomach or digestive system, your heart will react too.

Anna xx

hi everyone

thanks for all your replies.

lorraine

hi, been suffering with anxiety/panic attacks for a few months now, and have actually been really well these last 2 weeks, feeling almost normal. so tonight i went out for a nice meal with my family and had 2 glassses of champagne as it was a bday celebration. im now wide awake at nearly 3 am, and was freaking out cause of really strong palpitations. worried sick, but then i went into my parents room for some reassurance and they said that their hearts were beating really fast, like palpitations, but obv they're not worries cause they're not anxiety sufferers! just thought it was good to know that it can be directly triggered by rich food, a full tummy and even the slightest bit of alcohol. just made me feel more normal, like because other people get them and it's no big deal. but i am sure they're related to food intake sometimes.
    hope that helps xxx

Hi all,
    Yes I too often feel like a good burp when having a palp attack. Food and alcohol certainly seems to trigger. I dont drink alcohol but my hubby gets really rapid heart rate which keeps me awake more than my own after a night of boozing! It is so strong the bed feels like its vibrating!!! But like you say sarah 85 he is not an anxiety sufferer so it doesnt bother him a bit. Think he can sleep on the sofa next time!

Smile Re: integestion and palps

Yes, I get this too. I have never been able to pinpoint the cause of all my ectopics in all of their different forms. But indigestion is a definite trigger. Sometimes if I get a bad burst of ectopics, minutes later I might have an enormous burp! and feel much calmer. As one of the replies said it is all to do with the vagus nerve. My Dad has a hiatus hernia (since he was 29; he's now 68), and he gets palpitations a lot. The consultant says that ectopics etc. feel much worse in hiatus hernia sufferers, because of vagal nerve stimulation and the stomach lurching.
    I don't have a hernia, but my ectopics are rough all the same. So I guess my Dad feels a darn site more scared than I do.
    I don't want to stick to a bland diet, but having a glass of milk after a 'tricky' meal (such as lots of salad, veggies, etc.) does settle the tum, and help to cause that burp! Or alternatively a couple of spoonfuls of Gaviscon.
    All the best, NattyOne.

Thread Information