Thread: how to come off the last 5mg?!

how to come off the last 5mg?!

hi all. i have been weaning myself off citalopram for a year. i went down to 10mg for around 8 months because i had an over active thyroid and was on propranolol. the thyroid has cleared up mysteriously and i am down to 5mg and have been for around a month (went down to 7.5 inbetween).

i do feel anxious all the time (just been through a horrendous pet tragedy and so has my brother so whole family affected) but am dealing with it with time and acceptance. i really want to do down the meds free route and also have been suffering digestive upset for months now which i feel could be down to the citalopram.

the question i want to ask is that does anyone know if i will actually be receiving any benefit from 5mg anyway?! i am kind of worried if i stop taking it - in a few days i may be a gibbering wreck! i could go down to 2.5mg but even with a pill cutter - the tablet just crumbles!

anyone else given up 5mg overnight?

Re: how to come off the last 5mg?!

Hi Joanapp ..Im currently cutting down .I intend to take the last 5mg every other day for 3 weeks then stop .5mg wont be doing anythig for your anx .But its still in your system .This can be the hardest part for a lot of people .Drink plenty of water and expect to feel a bit more anxious for a while yet .It can take a while for the body to get back to functioning without it .Good luck Sue x

Re: how to come off the last 5mg?!

hi suzy sue - am pleased to hear it is not doing anything for my anxiety because i can cope with the level of anxiety i am currently experiencing so basically what i will experience is the withdrawal part. i did read that it was better to take a constant dose rather than alternate days so may try to go to 2.5mg and then nothing. i did pretty much stop taking these cold turkey a long time ago without any effects but this time i have been on them a much longer time - good luck with your withdrawal too! x

Thread Information