Thread: Considering stopping Citalopram

Considering stopping Citalopram

Hey there.

I'm debating on weather to stop my meds or have them changed. I have been on 40mg of citalopram for 10 months now. They have helped me, like right at the beginning. I must admit I haven't had a full blown panic attack for a very long time which is cool, although I still get a little anxious.
    But....I am still very depressed. I have been in a low and tearful mood now constantly for around 4 weeks and I can't seem to pull myself out of it. I have started drinking heavily and my intrusive thoughts are high. I pop my pill every morning and I just think "what is the point"?
    Do you guys think they have stopped working for me? Don't know what to do.

Kez xx

Re: Considering stopping Citalopram

Hi Kez

You should go and speak to your GP about how you feel, alcohol is not a solution as it will make you feel more anxious again and also depressed, maybe you need some counselling on top of your medication. Just don't sink into alcohol as that's the worst you can do to yourself.

Keta

Thanks for that. I am drinking very heavily and my intake is worrying. When I got out I can easily drink 7/8 pints of beer and probs some cans on top. This I will do Friday Saturday and Sunday. But this week so far I have drank on Tuesday and Wednesday as well. I'm going to try really hard not to drink tonight.
    I know it's not good to do on the Citalopram, as I also take zopiclone. I have reffered myself to the alcohol team, and I already have MIND's help, yes they are very good.
    I'm just worried that if my meds change I wont take them because I have a medication phobia.

If your GP would change your medication and you already taking Citalopram maybe think about it as replacment tablets for the Citalopam so you wo'nt be eating any extra tablets plus all SSRI's have the same side effects so it will be nothing new,

Hey,

Sorry you're feeling like that, I know that place its no fun and it feels like you get no rest bite from it.

Most doctors say you can drink on Citalopram, its not dangerous per-say, so don't beat yourself up about it too much. its understandable to turn to something if you feel anxiety, especially in a social situation. Britain is a nation of binge drinkers, so its an easy trap to fall into, one I have myeslf many many times.

I got drunk on Tuesday afternoon / evening, and I was really ill on Wednesday, spitting headaches, shakey, feeling insecure, depressed, fearful and later anxious.

Its the day after the day after today and I feel very anxious, a bit depressed, and less sociable. Up until this point I have felt very stable, confident and happier. So I share this to show a very extreme change of emotion and condition from a nights heavy drinking. If you're doing it all the time, you may not notice the impact it has, it might not just be citalopram not working but the impact of booze and citalopram.

So it could be the interaction of alcohol and citalopram which is causing the anxiety or at least being a fairly major contributor, rather than just the CIT not working!? As you know, booze is an depressant anyway. To a certain degree it will knock out any effects of the drug, that is what my doctor told me.

Its tempting to drink, I went for it on Tuesday because I get an initial softening of any anxious feelings but its actually a negative feedback loop, because you what initially makes it feel like its getting better will actually make it worse, meaning you want to drink again to stop it.

It sounds like perhaps the booze is not a recent thing for you? If its something you have fallen into over time it might be worth asking for help. Either from your GP or there is things like AA, or try to find a therapist that deals with addicitons.

My psychotherapist deals with addictions, particularly booze and drugs, he charges me £60 a session, but that can be a night out on the booze easily, so pretty good value in comparison.

Good luck..

Thanks all. The thing is I had no side effects from Citalopram at all. This is because I started out from Ecsitalopram, which I also had no side effects from. Anyway I have made an appointment for Thursday.
    Thanks again.

Kez xx

Good news Kez.

I have been on Citalopram 40mg for about 2 years now, unfortunatley I ended up drinking heavely and after a rather nasty incident I ended up in an assement unit for 5 days. Since then I my meds have changed to Mirtazapine, which I have to say has turned my life around, apart from quite bad 'Brain Zaps' which I am having right now, the change in meds has been wonderful, I sleep like like donkey now, and have no urge to kip all day like I did all the time I was on Cit, and have been out no panic attacks and felt really great, that said I have not drunk for the best part of two weeks, and I feel great (I am bi-polar though) so fingers crossed. If I can just get rid of the ZAPS, I will be laughing

Seasider. Thanks for that. I have heard about Mirtazapine and been told it works well from various people. But again it boils down to that...dreaded med phobia. They had to admit me to hospital to get me to take the Citalopram, because I was having a very serious breakdown at home and couldn't take meds. Thats what I am scared of.

Thread Information