Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bisoprolol for ectopic beats

Re: Bisoprolol for ectopic beats

I was prescribed the 2.5mg dose (like you Scatty), but I was reluctant to go the whole hog so to speak. The 2.5mg tablets I was prescribed were scored down the middle, so I broke them in to two, and just took the half. Then safely put the other half back in the packet with a bit of sellotape over the foil to keep it secure, and up on a high shelf. My daughter is seven, and even though she would probably never go near any meds., I'm still a bit paranoid about such things... As I said in my previous posts the Bisoprolol did me alot of good. Perhaps if I took the whole 2.5mg it would eliminate the ectopics completely, rather than make them much fainter, but I haven't yet taken the 2.5mg. I mentioned me taking just the half to my GP and she said that was fine, if I was getting good benefit from it, and to tell my cardiologist in December when I see him next.

All the best, NattyOne.

Question Re: Bisoprolol for ectopic beats

hi everyone i have just been prescribed these and i'm scared to take them too have you all found them ok its only a small dose 1.25 but i tried propranolol in the past i they didnt agree with me but i need something x

Quote Originally Posted by celeste1 View Post
    My consultant also suggested that I eat foods that are calming for the heart, orange juice, bananas and chocolate (result) however not dark chocolate , just the milk chocolate.
    Chocolate, as in the food that contains sugar & caffeine? Your consultant should be sacked.
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

I know milk chocolate is bad dark is the better of the two?

How are you skippy x

I assume he means in moderation, he is the highly trained doctor after all. I don't understand the milk preference though.

Bit of an old post though, it was in 2010 so are they still ever here?
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 01-07-15 at 12:30.

Even in moderation chocolate isn't calming for the heart. Anything with caffeine aggravates the heart.

The only way I could see it helping is if your ectopic beats only occur when your heart rate slows right down and keeping it elevated with small amounts of caffeine stops it.

Yes, if there is an underlying condition that warrants elimination I would agree.

I have asthma and there are studies showing how caffeine helps us so I guess it depends on more than just anxiety as it no longer bothers mine. I would expect a consultant in cardiology to have excellent knowledge of that.

I assume the doctor said chocolate because it is rich in potassium, which is an important mineral for regulating heart rhythm. I eat a couple of bananas and a chocolate every day for this reason - but then chocolate makes me feel good, gives me potassium and isn't a trigger for my heart (as long as its only a bit).

There are however many healthy potassium rich foods to choose from.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...ate-potassium/

http://www.drugs.com/cg/potassium-co...oods-list.html

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by katkinz01 View Post
    hi everyone i have just been prescribed these and i'm scared to take them too have you all found them ok its only a small dose 1.25 but i tried propranolol in the past i they didnt agree with me but i need something x

Hi Katkinz

I’ve been taking bisoprolol for a couple of months now and haven’t had any major issues. I take 7.5mg a day – which is a moderately high dose - and as such I have chosen to divide that into 2 doses during the day. I found taking the whole 7.5mg in one made me tired and lethargic, but have had no real issues dividing it across the day.

Bisoprolol tends to be one of the go-to Beta Blockers for many cardiologists because it's generally tolerated well by most people, has fewer side effects and interactions than some BBs, and is effective in small doses. I have asthma which is normally a bit of a watch out for Beta Blockers, however I have had no problems with Bisoprolol.

When you start beta blockers, it is quite normal to sometimes feel a little bit tired or lethargic to begin with (that may or may not happen on 1.25mg, I don’t know). If that does happen, don’t be alarmed as that is just your body and heart adjusting. It will pass and you should feel fine and normal after a week or so. If you find that you don’t feel great on bisoprolol then speak to your cardiologist or doctor. There are LOADS of other BBs out there that can be tried.

Beta Blockers are nothing to be afraid of. They are great drugs and are very effective – they don’t cause any issues with long term use and they are not addictive. Once you have started taking them you should not suddenly stop without talking to your doctor, though – even though you are on the lowest dose.

Hi
    I have been given 1.25 mg and still too scared to take them-maybe tomorrow. just wondering how you are getting along and if you take them every day?

Quote Originally Posted by katkinz01 View Post

Hi me too, did you take them eventually? did they help?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information