Thread: Getting Back to Work, Tips Please!

Getting Back to Work, Tips Please!

Hi,

I've been off work for 12 1/2 weeks now with stress that led to bad anxiety and anxiety attacks, have been on doses of Cit for 9 1/2. Finally found 40mg is working for me and I've been feeling much brighter the last week and a half.

I've been talking to my counsellor and occupational health Dr at work about getting back into work. I wanted to get back sooner, but the Dr has advised me to have a further 2 weeks and then a gradual return. And despite my impatience I know that both my counsellor and the Dr will have more experience so have decided to look at this fortnight as a holiday and try and keep this positive me up and running.

So hopefully the plan is for me to start back 2 weeks from today, for 2-3 hours per day over the first two weeks, and all being well then increase my hours over the following 2 weeks to get me back into things properly.

I'm starting to think about plans for taking time outs for relaxation and breathing, e.g. when I arrive in the car, somewhere quiet at lunchtime etc... to help me keep calm and build in some of the techniques I've learned into my daily routine. At the minute I tend to take time first thing on a morning, after lunch and before bed, but am thinking I need to adapt and/or add to this to get maximum benefit when I'm back into work.

I was wondering whether anyone else had any other hints/tips/advice that might help me when I'm back there, or has experiences of doing a similar graduated return and whether it worked well or not?

Thanks
    Dale

Re: Getting Back to Work, Tips Please!

Hi,

I returned to work in March of this year after having 5 months off with depression/anxiety. I do work full-time but went back on a phased return which worked really well for me. I did 3 hours the first week, then 4 followed by 5 and finally 6, I then had a weeks annual leave before going back full-time.

I think a graduated return is the best way to do it after being off for a period of time as it eases you back in.

Good luck with it...listen to what your body tells you and know your limitations.

Take care
    JO.xx

Thanks Jo. Part of me can't wait to get back, but am getting nervous about it. Mind you feeling nervous is better than feeling anxious, so I'm trying to tell myself that's a positive thing and normal.

I had a meal with some work friends yesterday evening and am going to try and catch people for lunch before I get back into the office, so at least the people I work with most won't be all asking lots of questions as we'll already have caught up. Hoping that might help me ease in too.

Hi,

You are bound to feel like that...I did too. Its good that you have met up with work friends etc, it does make going back easier. I kept in touch with my friends at work and also my manager which helped. I did meet up with her before I went back as well.

I found people did ask questions but not as much as I thought they would and I only told them what I wanted them to know....some people genuinely care others are just nosy!! Lol!!

I am a manager, so it was quite difficult knowing that you would have to deal with people but it was all so easy.

You will be fine!! Let me know how you get on....

Jo.xx

Thread Information