Thread: Is there enough help for carers

Is there enough help for carers

One of the things I have notice been a sufferer of depression and anxiety is the lack of support for carers. Often it is hard for people who have never had this to understand it and there is a real lack of support and I mean one on one support. This may be my area where I live but I certainly think it would it easier for the career and the sufferer if there was more support and carer could get a greater education of mental health conditions. [?]

Hi Robert

I live in Falkirk (not too far away from you) and we have a place called Falkirk & District Association for Mental Health who run courses for carer's who are coping with someone with mental illnesses including anxiety and panic attacks, etc. Glasgow Association for Mental Health may have something similar in your area.

I do think though that this is an area that should be addressed at school and through education we would be able to reach out to people before it took its grip.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

I've been really struggling with my boyfriend's panic and anxiety and have had not an ounce of support. I go to his counselling sessions with him (run by university) and sit in the waiting room. Not much chance of getting counselling myself, since there's a long waiting list (he got fast tracked, you see). I have been looking round this site and that is the only way I have an idea of what to do when he has a panic attack etc. Noone has spoken to him about what he should do to calm down or anything either, so I am all on my own. Would be very helpful to have a it of support, even if it was just a quick meeting of carers every 2 weeks or so.

hi
    i am a carer and i am also a sufferer and dont get any help at all from athorities but i look to friends and family for support which is sometimes hard to do when i just want to run away from everything

lea

im the same has leo i carer and i suffer aswell

Hello

I am working on a website within the Forth Valley area called Moodjuice, it is a self-help resource for people who are suffering from many different problems such as depression, stress, anxiety, bereavement etc., also more recently people who are caring for someone and the complications caring for someone brings. There is a lot of information on the site - far more than I am able to go into here, and it is easy to use. Please take a little time to have a look, I am sure there may be some information on there that you will find helpful.

Regards

Susan

First post from a 'newbie'

I am a Carer but also run an online support group for Carers (I won't put a link as that looks like I'm spamming, it was just to say who I am and what I do if you can understand the ramblings of an old man )

Got to agree there isn't enough help for Carers, and that's across the board, I've found that out myself and I hear countless other stories that say the same thing.

There is only one way to change that and that is to fight for the support and in a lot of cases that isn't possible either because of the stress of Caring, it's a vicious circle.

We are doing our best to change that and have had some minor success at getting media attention. Hopefully we can do enough to prick the conscience of the people that run this country, maybe not BUT we are trying and that's the main thing.

Hello to everyone here BTW, excuse my ignorance

ukcarers.org.uk

Thread Information