Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reducing Citalopram and worried?!

Reducing Citalopram and worried?!

hi, iv been on citalopram for 7 years an want them out of my system, but iv tryed to reduce them in the past and the side effects have been so bad iv upped the dose. When slowly reducing them last time i suffered with brain zaps, a feeling of unrealnes an extreme dizzyness, I also had this weird feeling in my eyes when i turned my head. The panic attacks were unbearable so i found myself bak on the 30mg, Iv succesfuly reduced my dose to 20mg over the past few months but since reducing to 10mg i can feel my head starting to feel tingly and i feel very nervous. Im temptd to up the dose again because the side effects are starting to scare me again, I want this drug out of my system so bad as i feel its the root cause of my feeling low and weird feelings/side effects. Any advice appreciated, Thanks

Re: Reducing Citalopram and worried?!

Hi Mike ,I have also reduced from 40mg down to 25mg .Ive reduced each time by only 5mg .Ive had practically no trouble apart from the odd headache and some mild sleep disturbances for a week or so .Perhaps if you upped another 5mg it would help you stabilise before you reduce again .It is always better to reduce very slowly to avoid bad discontinuation syndrome .All the very best Sue x

Thanks sue, iv been suffering with a weird type of headache, it just hurts when i cough at the top of my head, im still waiting for the side effects to properly start, im still on 10mg and just about copping.

Hi Mike,

I agree with Sue it is best to reduce really slowly....that way you will avoid withdrawal effects. I took cit on and off for around 9 years and always found I had the zaps but as I reduced very slowly they were minimal...it was only this last time when I had to come off and change to another med...basically reduced from 40mg-0mg in one week!!! Never again!!! Was horrendous...but got over it as you do.

I wish you luck Mike. Take it slowly.

Jo.xx

Thanks jo, this site is a great help, i have a weird matel type taste in my mouth? but tryin not to let it freak me out.

Hi Mike .The metallic taste is a normal side effect of starting or discontinuation of Citalopram .It will pass .It can be a sign you have reduced to quickly .Drinking more water may help as the saliva is affected as you sometimes dont produce as much .Also chewing gum will help .,as it stimulates saliva production .Taking your pills with food may also help with other side effects as it can affect the digestive system .How are you feeling to-day ? any other symptoms to report ? I hope not .. Ive reduced down to 20mg since Sat .So far so good x Woke up feeling less tired and no anxious thoughts ,thats a first ,as I find my anx gets worse in the mornings when I first cut down .I havnt had any headache either .Better not say anymore thou ,as I dont want to tempt providence ..lol .The drop from 20mg to 10mg is probably the hardest this is based on numerous articles and posts ive read .Hope you are feeling ok and you let us know how its going ..Good luck sue x
    Last edited by suzy-sue; 20-09-10 at 13:11. Reason: added something

Iv woke up from my sleep feeling extremely dizzy were the room is spinning, I feel awful an took an extra 10mg. Iv since just been sick and can't get off the toilet I can't cope with this an I'm starting g to question whether it is that small tablet that causes this??

Sorry to hear your not feeling very good Mike . Upset stomache and sickness is a symptom of discontinuation syndrome .Also the dizzyness .The dizzyness when you wake is down to low blood sugar .its made worse with reaction to it .Keep a biscuit and drink beside the bed and eat /drink before you get up .Slow deep breaths through your nose and out through you mouth will help with oxygen levels .I can understand why you took another tablet ,but it wont fix things im afraid .Your body will now have to get used to a different dose again .Why dont you just take another 5mg ,each day and then see how you go ? That way you are neither upping or lowering too much ,it should even out a bit .Otherwise you may feel even worse again .I have felt pretty good myself this week .I only cut down last Sat .I ve had 2 fuzzy headaches and felt a bit sick a few times .But it passed very quickly .Ive been keeping busy and drinking plenty of liquids .So its going well .Hope things level off for you soon Mike .T/c Sue

Just an update... It's been 2 weeks on 10mg now an iv copped well. But last night iv started to feel funny in my head it's hard to describe, it's like a heaviness/drowsy/dizzy feeling it's horrible. Thought I wouldn't get side effects now after 2 weeks but I guess here they come :-(

Thats normal Mike Well done for getting thru it ...Ive been having a few s/e too .Feel sick a lot of the time ,woke up sweating twice this week .Weirder dreams and they are quite weird anyway .Feeling tired and lethargic and fuzzy headaches ..OH wot fun !..Still soldier on eh ?..Hopefully another week and it should start to get better ..Keep updating and remember it wont last . T/c Sue

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information