Thread: Skin feels like it is sunburnt but it isn't!

Skin feels like it is sunburnt but it isn't!

I am having the strangest of symptoms. They started yesterday and have got worse since then. I am driving myself mad and I feel sick at the thought of them.

I have an itchy/tickly/crawling feeling on my back and sides accompained with a sensitivity which feels like sunburn but there is no visible rash. It could also be described as the skin feeling that you get with the flu - the sensitivity.

I have it on my left side mainly - my leg, arm and down my torso. It was also in my scalp.

I have been googling and researching and my symptoms are all over the neurology forums!
    Please help, I don't know what to do! I feel like crying, its an unbearable feeling. Do you guys think I should go to the doctors again? I feel like I'm there every day :(

Plus I've only just had blood tests done and they were all normal.

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Skin feels like it is sunburnt but it isn't!

I get this a lot and I don't know what causes it, sometimes I actually feel like my skin is on fire, my skin always feels sensitive and just like when you've got the flu, I told my doctor I just totally feel like I'm always coming down with the flu with all the symptoms and he didn't seem to think much of it and put me on an anti-depressant for my "anxiety".

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightCalm View Post
    I get this a lot and I don't know what causes it, sometimes I actually feel like my skin is on fire, my skin always feels sensitive and just like when you've got the flu, I told my doctor I just totally feel like I'm always coming down with the flu with all the symptoms and he didn't seem to think much of it and put me on an anti-depressant for my "anxiety".
    Thanks for answering.

Oh right, so this is another "anxiety" symptom then.

I'm not convinced, I've never had this in relation to anxiety before. Alot of websites/forums are saying it could be shingles. I feel very tired with it too.

What could I do to determine this?

- Emily Brontė

Whatever it is I have had it for over 20 yrs - I call it my tender patches as its like an area of skin that is burnt and incredibly painful to light touch but okay if you press with sharp shooting pains in it as well - can't bear clothes on it and it can itch and prickle/crawl.

I have literally had it on every single part of my body! I find it lasts no more than 48 hrs with me and comes in lots of attacks over a few weeks then goes away for months at a time.

My husband also gets it but not as often as me.

The best description of it is that it is like someone who is getting shingles but with this the spots never appear and it goes away in a couple of days but exact same symptoms - does this make sense.

I have been tested inside out for neuro disease and don't have it so take heart from that.

Its got worse today, I swear I'm going mad :( its so itchy too

- Emily Brontė

Cool Re: Skin feels like it is sunburnt but it isn't!

I have experienced this for years, and it started when I was diagnosed with mononeuclosis (adult) - I was very very sick with mono for approximately two months. I mentioned it to my Dr., when I started experiencing this (areas of skin that feel sunburnt, skin is not hot, no rash, but very sensitive to the touch with clothes and rubbing over the skin lightly with my fingers/hand. Normally I have it on my upper legs (usually inner and outer thigh) my butt and my lower back. Have had it on my arms a few times. I may not have a flair up for 6 months or more, then within an hour or two, it happens that quickly. Hate when it's on my butt because sitting on a cold toilet to tinkle is more uncomfortable than the clothes rubbing against the area. I also notice that my lower legs will hurt (from the knee down to mid-way caff - both legs)...not hurt really, but ache...yet I have found that tylenol or ibuprofen help this (it's not restless leg syndrome). I too, have severe panic disorder and have been taking klonopin for about 12-15 years. This has nothing to do with panic. I just don't worry about it because it doesn't effect my every day life and it goes away within 24/48 hours. Mine never feels crawly or itchy..just bothersome. Good luck and hope all turns out well for you. You may end up being like me and countrygirl..just learn to live with it, as it doesn't seem to be associated with panic/anxiety nor neuropathy.

Thread Information